beware ebay scam

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
even me, mr. paranoid almost fell for this one...<br />text is below, but origional mail looked just like<br />ebay with logos, same font and ebay links at bottom<br />that actually took you to the real ebay sight.<br />just be careful y'all!<br /><br />subject: urgent notice from ebay<br />>ebay request: confirm your identity<br /><br />>dear ebay customer,<br />>your bank has contacted us regarding some atempts of charges from (notice poor english here?)<br />your credit card via the ebay system. we have reasons to believe that you<br />changed your registration information or that someone else has unauthorized<br />access to your ebay account due to recent activity, including possible<br />unauthorized listings placed on your account, we will require a second<br />confirmation of your identity with us in order to allow us to investigate<br />this matter further.your account is not suspended, but if in 48 hours after<br />you receive this message your account is not confirmed we reserve the right<br />to suspend your ebay registration. if you received this notice and you are<br />not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation<br />of ebay policy to represent oneself as another ebay user. such action may<br />also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. ebay is<br />committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to<br />misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or<br />theft. information will be provided at the request of law enforcement<br />agencies to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest <br />extent of the law.

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: beware ebay scam

Thanks MY. I'll be on the lookout. I am usually very vigilant and also paranoid about this kind of stuff.<br /><br />Thanks for the heads up!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea MY, I get them all the time.<br />I just forward them to,<br />spoof@ebay.com and let er go.

SoulWinner

Commander

Hi-ya Mr Paranoid! Wouldn't you love to get your hands on the little geeks that pull this stuff and just beat the crap out them?? I know I sure would! The same thing happend to me earlier this year. :mad: It was the grammer that tipped me off. I sent the email to the ebay "Fake Letter" crew and they confirmed it was a hoax. I did some research and found out that most of these scams are perpetrated in iether SE Asia or Eastern Europe. I would have thought that Eastern Europeans would have better things to do with new found freedom than screw with little ole me. :confused:

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys, (not to sound like a know-it-all here)<br /><br />NEVER - NEVER - NEVER (did I mention never?)<br /><br />Give ANY of your personal information out from an email requesting it. Doesn't matter what the reason or cause - legitimate companies won't ask for things like your bank #'s, credit cards, passwords to paypal etc...<br /><br />JUST DO YOURSELF A FAVOR - DON'T DO IT!<br /><br />(Don't even get me started about that poor soul in South America wanting to transfer 9 million dollars to your account if you'll just give him the number...)

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

My wife almost went for one of these.<br /><br />Rule of Thumb:<br />Never follow an email link to where you are going to enter ANY personal information. Close everything, and go to the website the way you normally do.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I get these things all the time, supposedly from various institutions. The grammar, punctuation, and style are always so pathetic that it's obviously from someone who isn't who they say they are.<br /><br />*sound of flushing commode*<br /><br /><br />-dd-

mattttt25

Commander

has anyone received a similar email from citibank? i've received a few over the last few months, complete with graphics and logos. since i haven't had a citibank account active in some years, i simply delete.<br /><br />is there a general place to send these?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Seems like there should be a generic profile with account numbers and such that could be given to those scammers. That way when they would submit it, it would go straight to the authorities.<br /><br />I never answer any email from ebay. They (ebay) specifically state that they will never ask for any information containing personal info. So if they say that, then I'm not obligated to give it to them.

f_inscreenname

Commander

All emails requesting info goes straight into the trash. I figure if they are real I will find out when I try to sign into there site.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by mattttt25:<br /> has anyone received a similar email from citibank? i've received a few over the last few months, complete with graphics and logos. <br />is there a general place to send these?
The citicorp companies are hit often with this as well. The FTC has a site that you can send complaints to, but realistically, very little can be donw about it, usually. Here's a link:<br /><br /> https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Citicorp, and Wells Fargo are hit very often. Verizon (my DSL) provider has been hit pretty hard with these, as has AOL, from what I have heard. They set up mirror sites that look exactly like the originals, send emails asking you to verify billing or account information, along with a link to the mirror site. The mirror site has a very similar address to the actual site, except a minor mispelling or .net instead of .com. People click the link, go to the mirror site, enter their information, and lose their identity.<br /><br />Don't follow links to these sites from email. Go there the way you normally do. Call the organization to verify there is a problem before you do anything.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by mattttt25:<br /> has anyone received a similar email from citibank? i've received a few over the last few months, complete with graphics and logos. since i haven't had a citibank account active in some years, i simply delete.<br /><br />is there a general place to send these?
Yea mattttt25, get them all the time.<br />Luxury of doing business with the companies I guess.<br /><br />If you go the companies website, they all have something about suspious emails now and where to forward them to.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Thanks you, MY. I shall will be care full from there.<br /> :)

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I do get them,both ebay and citybank.Sometimes for the heck of it,I open it and fill it with garbled words.Then I multiply it 1000000 fold and send all those copies back to them.It overloads their servers and crashes them.<br />A very easy way to check the veracity of email is by reading whom it is sent to.The spam normally is to a name that is a little simular to yours but hardly ever the same.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> d.Then I multiply it 1000000 fold and send all those copies back to them.It overloads their servers and crashes them.
Rolmops, how do you 'multipy' your reply 1 million times?

Bondo

Staff member

Ya, I want to know too...........<br />This is the address from the properties on the last 1 I got from Citibank.........<br /><br />identdep_op90080556@citibank.com

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello Boomyal<br />You must have acces to a unix system,With windows it would be almost impossible.You basically make the computer think that it has not yet responded to your command so it just keeps repeating itself.<br />It works best if you make three or four servers do it simultaneously.That way you don't crash yourself.<br />Bondo that address is not theirs,it is a write over.If you want to be effective you must get a hold of the IP adress of the computer that sent it.Even then you often crash a Trojan horse infected computer which is used as a gateway by these people.If you do not have a bigtime server at your fingertips you should not try this stuff.Because the same overload you send them has to be created by your computer,so it better be a biggie.

Homerr

Commander

I wish they would cut off body parts when they find crooks that do stuff like that.<br /><br />There was another scam alert from our local radio this morning. Some poor sole was bilked over $10,000 on this one:<br /><br />Someone would call you and say you won a prize, but there would be a small fee to claim it.<br />They would get your bank info, and BINGO! You just lost your kids inheritance.<br /><br /><br />I'd love to spend 5 minutes with one of these (************) !! <br /> :mad: <br /><br /><br />H.