Best way to waterproof plywood transom

I'm remaking the transom of my 13ft alluminium boat and have 18mm marine grade plywood that I'm going to use, I'm just wondering what is the best sealer to coat the plywood in, in order to make it as waterproof as possible, thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The best is Woodonglass's "oldtimers formula" 1 part boiled linseed oil, 1 part spar varnish, 2 parts mineral spirits. let it soak in for a few coats, then cover with spar varnish.

The best is Woodonglass's "oldtimers formula" 1 part boiled linseed oil, 1 part spar varnish, 2 parts mineral spirits. let it soak in for a few coats, then cover with spar varnish.
Thank you very much for the invaluable information. Just wondering what males that formula better than if I was to just use multiple coats of spar varnish on its own? Appreciate it

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Don't use wood.----Use a composite material.----Never worry about rot again.
plywood IS a composite.
It provides both strength and flexibility, along with vibration dampening.
Properly sealed/preserved, as described above, it should last half a century or more. Probably longer if it is stored dry.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What did you do to the treated wood in order for it to be kept for so long without any rot?
to clarify, he is not using pressure treated.

he used the old timers formula on wood to water proof it.

to clarify, he is not using pressure treated.

he used the old timers formula on wood to water proof it.
so my plan is to use the old timers formula with epifans clear spar varnish on marine grade plywood. is there anything that I should change or add to this plan, thanks appreciate the replies

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
so my plan is to use the old timers formula with epifans clear spar varnish on marine grade plywood. is there anything that I should change or add to this plan, thanks appreciate the replies
Marine plywood should be fine on its own for a very long time.Penetrating Waterproofing can help HOWEVER if you are coating the wood with something like varnish ,I think you are inviting trouble.Anywhere you have to make a hole like for a screw or bolt,you will potentially have a spot for moisture to intrude on the wood and the moisture will be locked it by the varnish thus promoting rot.I dont like the varnish idea.Just my 2 cents...Charlie

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Marine plywood should be fine on its own for a very long time.Penetrating Waterproofing can help HOWEVER if you are coating the wood with something like varnish ,I think you are inviting trouble.Anywhere you have to make a hole like for a screw or bolt,you will potentially have a spot for moisture to intrude on the wood and the moisture will be locked it by the varnish thus promoting rot.I dont like the varnish idea.Just my 2 cents...Charlie
yes it should be said oversize drill holes and fill with epoxy then redrill so the holes are sealed thats the way i did mine and i know i will never have a problem anything screwed to my wood gets oversized hole and epoxy then gets redrilled for proper screw size so it don't expand it and crack it.

I thought that the whole point of spar varnish was to be water resistant and not fully waterproof as to allow the wood to breathe? That's my understanding as to why people use spar varnish over an epoxy coating

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't know about breathing...
It does allow the wood to expand and contract and offers uv protection

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
spar varnish has flexability that epoxy dont. expoxy is also not uv resistant..

TriBull

Cadet
I'm remaking the transom of my 13ft alluminium boat and have 18mm marine grade plywood that I'm going to use, I'm just wondering what is the best sealer to coat the plywood in, in order to make it as waterproof as possible, thanks
On my 1974 12’ StarCraft, I used marine plywood, sealed with marine resin and then marine paint - should last another 48 years! Lol BTW, using a jack plate makes for a great ride and freed up transom space to mount my sport ladder and boat hook!

Attachments

• A8855336-9274-41A9-9C3D-09F3B58FFFCE.jpeg
    A8855336-9274-41A9-9C3D-09F3B58FFFCE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 681F3878-2CE1-4CDE-9B4C-A4EA7322B34B.jpeg
    681F3878-2CE1-4CDE-9B4C-A4EA7322B34B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 7CB6BC54-C9DC-409A-8DD3-9873ABE165A3.jpeg
    7CB6BC54-C9DC-409A-8DD3-9873ABE165A3.jpeg
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 18
  • FC826FB0-BF09-4761-8167-04F097CA0FBB.jpeg
    FC826FB0-BF09-4761-8167-04F097CA0FBB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 5E92065F-7EA6-446D-AC0D-50CE0F225687.jpeg
    5E92065F-7EA6-446D-AC0D-50CE0F225687.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
How are you fastening ply to transom? A BUNCH of 1/4" x 20s????? I have had some success on regular ply using polyester (no wax) thinned 400% with acetone. The wood sucks up the mix. But wood was NOT transom. If it were me, I used pressure treated and let it totally dry and then prim and paint and best way to fasten to boat. Rot usually occurs at drain hole.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Unless you never ever expect the PT to get wet, never ever, best to not use PT in an aluminum boat.

Its not just about transom contact, its chemical leaching and collecting in seams to. As seen in lots of topics posted here