Best way to put the drain hole in a new transom?

lvl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How do I go about putting the bilage drain hole in a transom replacement?
Do I drill the whole first or put the transome in first then drill the whole?
Do they make a two peice brass fitting or something that would screw into each other?

I think I seen on here once that someone drilled a bigger hole than needed. Put in like a solid plug of plastic or something. Then drilled the smaller drain whole in that. I think the thought behind that was if the bilage drain fitting started to leak it was in plastic so the wood wouldn't start to rot. Not sure if that is a good idea or a standard practice.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: Best way to put the drain hole in a new transom?

Last time I did one, I mounted the transom in the boat then used a hole saw to drill the hole. I have never heard of the plastic idea...I did completely seal the hole in the wood before I mounted the brass fitting. Never had any problem with it when I owned it.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Complete the repair to the transom first and then install the drain tube. You can buy the tubes right here on boats. The tube will be flared on one end and you flair the other end once installed. Just drill the required hole, cover the exposed wood with 3M 5200, and the flared end of the tube, slide it in and flair the other side. I use a flaring tool made for it, but it can be done other ways (ball peen hammer). The are also two piece plastic tubes you can use, but I prefer the brass tubes.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I also used a hole saw from the existing hole on the outside of the hull through the new plywood and glass. I installed the bung with 5200 in the screw holes and on the screws then ran 5200 around the inside on the exposed wood and glass

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I like to drill a 2" hole, mix up some Thickened resin with hand picked shredded glass fibers mixed in and fill the hole. Re-Drill and install. Use 3M-5200 to glue it in. If it ever DID leak, NOT PROBLEMO!!!! Nothing but resin to get wet!!!!! Transom is forever protected. Drain tubes are one of the MAIN culprits for rotted transoms.

lvl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Screws?? Most I see are brass and dont really know how they are held in. Woodandglass posted a link on someone elses thread about flairing brass tubes that seemt to be the way. Most of the pic links didnt work though. :( Thnx Wood I think I get the jist

makokeith

Cadet

i overdrilled mine an used thickened epoxy to put in a piece of 1" pvc pipe. Covered the outside with a garboard drain cover and plug.

sasto

Captain

I would drill it out to size after finishing the transom, also.

I like to clean out about about 3/8" of the wood core surrounding the hole, leaving the laminates alone, then fill the circumference of my hole with putty. Install drain.