Best way to paint a boat?

Bobobob

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,

I have a 1981 Sea Nymph CC-170 and it is in need of some new paint. What is the best paint to use and the preferred method of applying it.

Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• photo222462.jpg
    photo222462.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo222463.jpg
    photo222463.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 0

zool

Captain
Hey rob/bob

Paint is just a matter of budget, you can get by rolling and brushing a $20/gal alkyd like Rustoleum, up to spraying a $300+/gal Poly or Acrylic...the best would be what you are comfortable buying and applying, plus what equipment you have at your disposal....Give us an idea what you're willing to spend, and we'll help you get er done ;).

Bobobob

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm not opposed to spending some money, I'd like to put some paint on her that will stay on, I'm not looking to repaint the boat every 2 years. Some quality paint that is forgiving when it comes to prep would be nice, I have a 60 Gal compressor and some Automotive paint guns. I would like to paint it white again and I have a fellow who can do decals. This is a fishing boat primarily and gets beached on occasion.

Hope that helps.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
find woodonglass's post about painting a boat for $100 with tractor paint

zool

Captain
As far as durability is concerned, the best would be a true or linear polyurethane, like Awlgrip or Sterling, just below that would be an acrylic urethane like single stage auto paints, the enamels would be at the bottom, imo. They will all look good on that boat in white, just some will last longer, and each has its benefits and drawbacks.

Awlgrip and Sterling are tough as nails when cured, but its a little unwieldy to spray, and shouldn't be cut or buffed, waxed ect....so it goes on as sprayed so to speak.

Acrylics like PPG Concept, Dupont Fullthane, Awlcraft 2000, ect are easier to apply, and can be color sanded to a mirror finish if you get some peel or runs...

Enamels like Rustoleum, tractor paints, ect are also easy to apply, and are easily repaired, but require more frequent recoating.

Personally, I like acrylics..

My procedure for acrylic would be:

Wash the hull completely with dawn dish soap and warm water.

Wipe the whole hull down with a wax and grease remover, using the 2 rag method.

Sand with the grit recommended by the paint system you choose.

Blow it off and wipe it again.

prime it with an epoxy primer

fair any dents or dings with an epoxy fairing compound.

Seal it with more epoxy primer.

Then spray the topcoat.

There are other methods of preparing the aluminum, like using an etching and build primer, or Alodyne and alumiprep,or a wash primer, but the epoxy primer method is easy.

Be sure to follow the tech sheet with the paint system you choose, and try to use compatible products, same system primer/paint, and catalyst.