Best way to gain a little speed with 40hp engine

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 40 model " big foot " may just have a lower unit off a 60 HP model.------The idea is a bigger prop on a smaller motor for heavy loads.

cmon74

Cadet
When I looked it up, the RPM was 5500
When you say looked it up, are you referring to max RPM for a 2018 40 hp big foot Mercury engine? Because my rpm gauge on the dash maxes out at 7k RPM and I just confirmed I'm getting 5200 RPM at wot

matt167

Rear Admiral
When you say looked it up, are you referring to max RPM for a 2018 40 hp big foot Mercury engine? Because my rpm gauge on the dash maxes out at 7k RPM and I just confirmed I'm getting 5200 RPM at wot
He means the max rpm the outboard is rated to spin. If you are getting 5200, you may benefit just a smidge by going down a pitch. But it’s not going to help that much

cmon74

Cadet
He means the max rpm the outboard is rated to spin. If you are getting 5200, you may benefit just a smidge by going down a pitch. But it’s not going to help that much
I may do that. I'll be needing a new prop soon. I'm not to worried about the speed. I just like modding things up to make them better the new. But I don't believe the cost is worth gaining 3-4mph at best. It gets me fishing and that's all that matter. I'll spend my hard earned money on some lithium batteries and some cool electronics 😁

flashback

Captain
Some prop shops will let you buy a prop and try it. If it doesn't suit and you haven't damaged it they will exchange for a different pitch.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
just because a tach has a 7000 rpm range, that's not an engine's rated limit.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
All marine tachs come in is 4000rpm for diesels, 5000rpm for some large motors, 7000rpm for most motors and outboards, 8000 RPM and 10000 RPM for race motors

The tachs are generic

The gauge max has nothing to do with the WOT RPM of your motor

Which is 5500 RPM when you look it up

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Some prop shops will let you buy a prop and try it. If it doesn't suit and you haven't damaged it they will exchange for a different pitch.
You make the deal, install the prop, take the boat out to clean water and get the numbers.....a 5 minute operation. Go back to the dock and remove the prop....talk to the dealer about your results and your expectations......that's how you do a loaner prop test.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you did the job before then removing water intake screens would jog your memory I think.