Best Way to clean out speedometer line?

jwharan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 10, 2005
Messages
104
What is the best way to blow the line on the speedometer? I know there is an entry hole about 1/8" wide, somewhere on the front of the outdrive. Any suggestions? Alpha 1 Outdrive, 1997.
 

tommays

Admiral
Joined
Jul 4, 2004
Messages
6,768
Re: Best Way to clean out speedometer line?

if you look on the front of the drive where the upper and lower bolt toghter there is a small white plastic connector<br /><br />tommays
 

jwharan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 10, 2005
Messages
104
Re: Best Way to clean out speedometer line?

Once I locate the hole, how do I clean it out? What tools do I need?
 

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
234
Re: Best Way to clean out speedometer line?

I usually take the pitot line off the back of the speedo and use a small hand pump to blow out whatever is blocking it. Those small pumps to inflate footballs/basketballs work okay as long as you remove the needle.
 

wgander

Cadet
Joined
Mar 26, 2004
Messages
28
Re: Best Way to clean out speedometer line?

Use a little twist drill bit, and your hand - no tools to turn it - to clean out the hole in the leading edge of the drive leg.<br />I used a 12 volt compressor with a needle inflator to blow out the tube; used duct tape to seal the inflator to the tube.
 

jwharan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 10, 2005
Messages
104
Re: Best Way to clean out speedometer line?

Do I disconnect the hose from the speedometer and blow it out from that end?
 
Top