best/good fish/ski boat combo

MrMyOpinion

Banned
Re: best/good fish/ski boat combo

tmh: "If you are on a lake with much traffic or natural chop, don't expect your wife to like it"

Holy crap dude, put down your purse!!! This is a fishing and skiing boat he is asking about. Why are all your posts about the wife and kids??? Get your therapy somewhere else. This is a man asking about a man's boat for a man's pursuits. Please do not weigh in on issues that are beyond you.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Most of the fish & ski packages around here have carpet (snap in or glued in) and for the life of me I can't figure out why. A bow rider is a great multi-purpose boat. I do a tonne of fishing in mine, will the wife sunbathes on the opposite end. My prefered fishing location is sitting on the sundeck with my feet on the swim platform. Or standing on the swim platform. Don't knock an I/O if you can get one, because if my boat had an outboard, I'd loose my favorite fishing position. With the drive down I can pull fish in from any direction. :D I'd not get a bass boat if you intend on having a few people or your local lakes tend to get choppy...they are great on calm water though!

Ian

204 Escape

Ensign

We d a nice VIPER CORAL F/S with a 225 Merc. Nice boat. Handled well, ran good, and was F-A-S-T !!!!!!!!!!! It was a 21' boat. Trolling motor, 2 batteries double live well, etc.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

tmh: "If you are on a lake with much traffic or natural chop, don't expect your wife to like it"

Holy crap dude, put down your purse!!! This is a fishing and skiing boat he is asking about. Why are all your posts about the wife and kids??? Get your therapy somewhere else. This is a man asking about a man's boat for a man's pursuits. Please do not weigh in on issues that are beyond you.

Dude, sorry you don't do so well with the ladies, lots of married folks here and some unmarried but not afraid of girls.... nice FIRST post though. IF I was answering the question for YOU, I may have given different advise. Like, "A three foot dinghy is PERFECT for you and ALL your friends". In this case though, I was pointing out that IF the OP considers boating as a family sport, he should consider some other things. IF he doesn't that's fine also.

btw, I KNOW you are the loser who I laughed at when you begged me to find you a nice 30' cruiser AND a VG 19' open bow bothe for under $10K!!! Well, just so you know, I am still laughing at you.....

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

Those of us who are married know we must keep her happy in order to be allowed to spend this kind of money.
We want to be able to fish and the kids want to tube and ski and the wife just want a leisurely cruise.
I have always opted for a 17' to 20' Bow rider, but have recently got what I want ( so far so Good).
Finally picked up the classic Glastron Carlson I've been wanting for years.

So its not about how much of a man you are but more about keeping everybody happy.
Most of us are here for a reason....to gain info and give info to those less experienced not to slam others for their personal opinions.

Sorry didn't mean to get OTS, just upsets me when newbies are know-it-alls.

walk-on

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A couple years ago I bought a bow rider but shortly thereafter I wished I had bought a fish/ski. I'll probably be in the market for a new(used) boat again in a couple years and I'll be looking for one that comes with all the stuff I want. Specifically, a larger motor, larger ski locker, trolling motor, pedestal seats, live well, galvanized trailer, etc.

The boat I bought had a rotten transom in it so I'd like to recommend that you take a close look at the transom to make sure it is not rotten. This can be common in used boat in the age (or older) you are looking at, especially if they are stored outside.

I would also be sure to check the compression on each cylinder before you buy it just to make sure you don't buy a motor that needs work. Many people don't realize there are problems with the motor, but some do and try to sell their problems to someone else.

chrish45

Cadet

wooo wooo....so to get things calm...
I am looking for a bass/ski boat...one for my friends and I to do some bass fishing from time to time...and then also to take my 2 daughters and wife out tubing and skiing from time to time.

I should have put that up earlier.(picks up my wife's purse and holds it while she shops)...lol

Almost settled on a 93 cajun with a 93 johnson on it...but not am worried guy said he has only had it 5 months and is selling it. Makes me a bit neverous.

I VIP I was checking out was nice, but not really setup for fishing. So, the search continues. I am not against a 21' boat..and I am looking around to see if there are any key wests in my area for sale.

MrMyOpinion

Banned

tmh,

Tubingluvr is a Seaman (get it, Tubingluvr ... seaman).

You guys should get together, if your wives will let you.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

tmh,

Tubingluvr is a Seaman (get it, Tubingluvr ... seaman).

You guys should get together, if your wives will let you.

uh.....no, I don't "get it". Or, maybe I do, but if so, then I figure you to be around 13 years old. Good guess?

Sad little loser.

Oh, btw, I was correct - wife and daughter for tubing....

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

Forget it TMH he's not worth the energy it takes to type the text.
Just ignore him and stick to the subject at hand.

Chris what type of water are you going to be boating in ?
If you will be fishing in shallow water I would suggest an outboard but if not than an I/O.
I personally am an I/O guy.
Have you given a small deck boat any consideration?
These in my opinion are the best all purpose boat ever created.
You should be able to find a nice Four Winns or other Manufacturer of equal quality.

chrish45

Cadet

Going to fish mainly lakes, rivers...am looking at the cajuns and their type cause they are shallow draft, so you can get in close. Was mainly looking at outboards.

The only thing I wonder about the deck boats is how easy it is to tow them to different lakes. One of the things I am thinking is from time to time...taking it to the different lakes and rivers around here. Live in central Texas, so we have several highland lakes, and most of the Colorado is navigatible, if you can get to a boat ramp on the right side of a damn.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

a deck boat is just as easy to tow as any fiberglass speed boat and there are quite a few outboards out there and some that are set up for fishing have livewells, baitwells and trolling motor and the larger ones (over 20') also have a shower and you can also get camper tops for them.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I started fishing. I HAD! to have THE! bass boat, some yrs ago. but you make friends, and only have two seats and 2 friends and wife. Try looking for a 20 ft ,21ft ,a little heavy, to medium heavy fish and ski. there are many in price range. They will stay on plane without beating you to a pulp in moderate water and will fish as good as any bass boat. " getting POUNDED!" at high speed in a light boat is not fun anymore. We call them "little rubber people"!, bouncing around in heavy wake or wake boarding in heavy wake at full throttle, make me hope parents have good insurance . I see several posts made by said, "little rubber people".