Bent skeg

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This afternoon I was loading boat back on trailer at the launch and the water was a little lower than normal. As usual, I backed trailer down so I could drive boat on trailer the last little bit. When I almost had it on all the way, I realized I was too far out of water so I backed trailer up a bit with lower unit all the way down and must have caught the bottom of concrete ramp. I broke off about a 1" piece at the back lower corner of skeg and bent it. It look worse than it sounds but laying a straight edge on straight part, it is bent to left about 1/2 inch for about 6" in length. What now? Can I try to gently bend/beat back in place or will it snap off? I thought about putting back in water to see if there was a significant impact on steering but was too pissed at the moment.

klroth025

Cadet
I think you've answered your own question. In a calmer moment, put her back in the water and take a spin. If you don't notice a detrimental impact, I'd clean up the broken edge and leave it be.

Thalasso

Commander
This afternoon I was loading boat back on trailer at the launch and the water was a little lower than normal. As usual, I backed trailer down so I could drive boat on trailer the last little bit. When I almost had it on all the way, I realized I was too far out of water so I backed trailer up a bit with lower unit all the way down and must have caught the bottom of concrete ramp. I broke off about a 1" piece at the back lower corner of skeg and bent it. It look worse than it sounds but laying a straight edge on straight part, it is bent to left about 1/2 inch for about 6" in length. What now? Can I try to gently bend/beat back in place or will it snap off? I thought about putting back in water to see if there was a significant impact on steering but was too pissed at the moment.

Trying to beat it back will most likely cause it to break off. Don't worry about it it will be ok.

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here are some pics of what it looks like

Attachments

• photo230687.jpg
    photo230687.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo230688.jpg
    photo230688.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0

Thalasso

Commander
Take a file that's meant for aluminum or brass use (not a steel file) and file down the rough edges and paint. Unsightly. Yes but not criticule.You will be ok

Last edited:

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You could also install a skeg guard.

That's is what I am considering at this point even if current damage is only "cosmetic". I'm wondering if I can install one of those over the bent part with a little persuasion?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
IF the remaining skeg is still longer then the diameter of the prop, then yes reshape the skeg with some little hammer effort and files and repaint. However, It this broken section now allows the prop to hit thing below the skeg, then I say you need to have a section welded on and shaped again. You can easily take a hammer and solid block and work that bent portion back without too much effort. And then change the taper angle and smooth it all out and paint. And I bet nobody would even know the difference... JMHO!

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IF the remaining skeg is still longer then the diameter of the prop, then yes reshape the skeg with some little hammer effort and files and repaint. However, It this broken section now allows the prop to hit thing below the skeg, then I say you need to have a section welded on and shaped again. You can easily take a hammer and solid block and work that bent portion back without too much effort. And then change the taper angle and smooth it all out and paint. And I bet nobody would even know the difference... JMHO!

Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, the remaining section is longer than the diameter of the prop. I did bend the tail end section slightly back in place which was the thinner portion of the skeg but stopped on the thicker section.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, the remaining section is longer than the diameter of the prop. I did bend the tail end section slightly back in place which was the thinner portion of the skeg but stopped on the thicker section.

I don't think you will have any problems bending the skeg. I've done it on such parts and if you work slowly and easy, it will go back... JMHO!

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the feedback and yes, I am in agreement of leaving it alone. Cast aluminum doesn't bend well especially if trying to bend back in the opposite direction. Gonna wait to see if I can notice any steering problems and maybe even install a Skeg Guard. I hate seeing the damage.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What is worse is seeing all the people pointing at it and laughing! :)

Sorry...couldn't resist.

creamy

Cadet
I bent the skeg on my drive quite badly and was resigned to major cost of replacement so I took to it with a big hammer and a block of wood. I was expecting it to break off but it went back in shape no worries.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Many times I've straightened a bent skeg and didn't break it off.
Yours isn't that bad and should go back easily.
Block of wood on one side and a 3# mall and hit lightly.
You try to knock it back in place with one hit and it will break off.
Go slowly and take your time.

Being as it's in the direct flow of the water it needs to be straight.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I too have straighten them out with a little finesse and worked slowly, but I've been informed that you can't straighten them out because they will break off. So I guess I did it before I knew it wouldn't work... :noidea:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I too have straighten them out with a little finesse and worked slowly, but I've been informed that you can't straighten them out because they will break off. So I guess I did it before I knew it wouldn't work... :noidea:
You should go ahead and follow GM280's advice. If it does break off, he will volunteer to pay the price of welding on a new skeg.

Or you try it out and leave it the way it is if it doesn't affect how the boat runs.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I guess I would try it first too. If it runs good, leave it. If not, it's time for a decision. It sounds like a lot of members have success in bending them back. I guess the OP will have to make his own decision......