Bellows on My 2000 Four Winns - Penta SX

billrock

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
2
Recently purchased my boat and noticed the exhaust bellow has been torn out between the transim and the outdrive. As I was reading some posts, I heard that if your exhaust bellow has detoriated, the other bellows may be bad.

I am very concerned as I have saw some posts where your boat could sink if the other bellows are bad.

Where are the other bellows? How do I replace? Is it a big job?

Thanks!:)
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: Bellows on My 2000 Four Winns - Penta SX

The ujoint bellows is just above the exhaust bellows. Both are easy to change compared to Merc.
How to change the bellows easily is not in the manual, but it works very nicely.
Basicially all you do is pull the outdrive, remove the exhaust bellows, remove the plastic nut from the water hose and push the fitting out so the hose is out of the way. Disconnect and Remove the ujoint bellow out the bottom, then put it back together in reverse order.

IF you head up to the adults only sticky, and go to the Volvo information, you can download the OEM service manual for your drive which will explain the details of how the bellows are clamped etc. You will also need an alignment bar if you plan on doing your own repaires.
 

kejasi

Recruit
Joined
Jun 3, 2010
Messages
2
Re: Bellows on My 2000 Four Winns - Penta SX

I just joined this forum today. What a "sea" of information!
This thread caught my eye as I recently helped a friend with his exhaust bellows. He has a 1999 Cobalt 226 Volvo Penta duo prop with the 5.7L. Mine is the same setup in a 2001 Cobalt 226. The friend's boat has a full exhaust bellows that connects from the transom to the lower unit while mine only has a 4 or 5 inch tube that attaches to the transome side only. What I'm wondering now is whether or not mine should have a full connection the way my friend's boat does?? I suspect that once exhaust is out of the hull it doesn't really matter where it goes. Probably just a matter of noise management?
 
Top