Bellows ground wires cut SX-A

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bad corrosion on outdrive at transom.

It seems my bellows ground wires from ? to ? have been cut or are missing. After 2 hours of searching and viewing schematics, I can not find where they are supposed to go. Please help!

Qs:
1) how much do they matter? (short term and long term) Freshwater Only.
2) I see attachment clips on clamps on each end of the lower bellows. The wires are broken or cut. Do they connect together? Where do they go??
I think the routing is - front of bellows clamp to rear bellows clamp then somewhere on pivot housing AND/OR to "port middle bolt" of trim motor housing

Note: I am replacing trim motor and instructions say "cable for Bellows clamps and pivot housing goes under port middle bolt."(of trim motor housing). So what connects to what? Where does it attach on pivot housing? I assume anyone who has done their bellows knows this. Thanks, please be specific!

Photos are of bellows clamps that have broken wire

Attachments

• bellows ground clip rear.jpg
    bellows ground clip rear.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 10
  • bellows ground clip forward.jpg
    bellows ground clip forward.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone know? I can't put the trim motor back on until I'm sure I don't need this wire! Thanks

Fun Times

Staff member
Tough one to be exact in explanation for the Volvo as there isn't/doesn't seem to be a direct guide for the grounding/bonding corrosion protecting system like merc offers in their service manuals.

To get a visual of it outside of having one near by, you'd need to keep studying the schematics like you'd been doing as there are many spots that need them and yes you're correct that say one new / good conditioned bonding wire cabling is connected together to handle about 3 or 4 items...but maybe it will help if we can guide you to the correct locations that lay between the parts catalog and the Volvo SX-A service manual that covers the transom assembly which I'll try to do below.

In the following the bonding/ground wire cable is item number 27, and the bolt and washer is 89 and 84,

67, 71,

Number 6,

Number 11,

This is on the inside of the boat but numbers 4, 5 & 6,

^ Or depending on any possible differences,

All your parts in case i missed something,

Now have a general read of the service manual as they mention each time/place you should connect the ground bond wire to each component in need.

Example,
9,Push the exhaust bellows onto exhaust tube until it engages groove. Slide ground strap clip under hose clamp and tighten
clamp securely.
NOTICE! The exhaust bellows does not have a specific position.
Mounting the worm screw on top allows access
through an opening in the pivot housing.

Then try an image search of SX-A transom and you might pick up a few pointers of where to look as there are many to look at online.

I think that's all i have to offer as a starting point to your question... Hope it helps, good luck.

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow, so kind of you to put time into this! Yes all good clues, nothing that ties it all together as a "circuit" but I can piece it together thanks. Looks like its a job for when the bellows are changed. Thanks again, kind people like you keep the world a good place to live.

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
To answer the other question: does it matter short or long term, fresh water only: Well, it depends on the fresh water. No question that corrosion process is much slower in FW but it still happens. I think you are ok in the short term, i.e., finish out the season, while you research and collect all the components you need using FT’s guidance above. Unsure if you need it? Get it anyway. Better to have a left-over cable, then not have it when doing the job. In fact, best to get a couple of extra 2 and 3 loop wires (items 67 & 71) so you can ensure its tied all together which is critical. Note you can use a multimeter to determine is a component is part of the circuit as part of your pre-disassembly and post reassembly.

And if you are still unsure to undertake this repair due to “not an issue in FW”, think of this > if you ever go to sell the boat a savvy buyer will probably walk away seeing those cut wires. While you may convince them not an issue, they will still see it as a lack of maintenance / caring for the boat.

Also, you did not mention how that came to pass and not really the point but if you are using a shop that did that I would never go back.

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wires were discovered cut when I changed tilt motor and saw reference to the clamp clips. Boat not trailered. Had boat 2 years and clamps perfect but serious corrosion in pivot area and transom shield (I think the forward annode was disabled by being covered in slime (weedy/algae lake)

cyclops222

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lack of maintenance causes problems. Both seen & unseen internal ones.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
If it is not kept in the water I think you would be ok until after the season to resolve. If slipped, I would add new cables soon.

cyclops222

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I know of 4 things to attack metal parts in water.
Salt Water
Polluted industrial / corrosive places
Excessively strong Chlorine sewage treatment plant discharges/
Strong stray electrical currents. Dock power or underwater power cables leaking electrical current into the water.