Bellows adhesive - Is it a must?

jackball42

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm working on my Mercruiser 140 outdrive and replacing the bellows. How important is it to use bellows adhesive on the new bellows? I have read comments on other boards and some say you must and others say you can get away without it. Since tearing the gimble housing and bell housing apart are pretty major jobs I only want to do it once.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bellows adhesive - Is it a must?

If you only want to do it once, and the OEM Service manual says to use it. Why would you not want to use it?

cheaperts

Seaman

Compared to the cost of the bellows themselves, 10.00 worth of glue is cheap insurance to me............

Bondo

Staff member

Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time,
But always enough time to do it again?

Ayuh,.... If ya don't use the glue, expect to get some practice, doin' it over....

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I consider bellows adhesive a definite Must. You can do this JB, dig deep into your wallet $10.00 is the best extra cash you can spend on your bellows replacement.
[h=2][/h]

Pete104

Lieutenant

DON'T use it on the exhaust bellows!!! Either end. Shoot powertune on the bellows & it will slide right on, clamp it tight. Then spray the aft end w/prwtune, work it on with the tool, clamp it tight & your done!

Weirthit

Cadet

Will Power Tune work on the u-joint and shift cable bellows as well?

jackball42

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have some bellows adhesive on the way. I use carb cleaner on the bellows to let them slide on easily, same result as the power tune.

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

I have some bellows adhesive on the way. I use carb cleaner on the bellows to let them slide on easily, same result as the power tune.

oh my god don't use carb cleaner where there is rubber it will damage the rubber. i have been told on many forums from I/Oboats to outboards to ski doos and ATV do not use carb clean where there is rubber

SSSuper83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh my god don't use carb cleaner where there is rubber it will damage the rubber. i have been told on many forums from I/Oboats to outboards to ski doos and ATV do not use carb clean where there is rubber

+1 for sure!

jackball42

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bellows adhesive arrived and I got the U-joint, shift cable and exhaust bellow replaced. The adhesive does make the u-joint bellows slide on much easier.