Bell housing pivot bolt threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanD34

Seaman
1988 Alpha 1 Gen 1 with 3.0. I have been working on the boat on and off over winter and have installed new trim sensors gimbal bearing, u joints, bellows, shift cable, etc and have had splendid luck. Got the water hose and u joint bellows all attached today and the shift cable inserted and went to install pivot bolts and somehow the threads on the port side got damaged and can only install the bolt a short way before it gets tight. Dont know how it happened or if it was that way before. Neither bolt works on the port side and both bolts work on the starboard side just fine so it's not a bolt problem. My question is does one dare to run a tap or thread chaser through this material?. It's not exactly cast iron but on the other hand it's worthless as it is. I'm just stumped as to how the threads got damaged. Anyone have other suggestions? I was going to buy a 5/8-18 bolt and see if that would go through and perhaps clean out the threads too but will probably need a chaser or tap. Any other suggestions? This is not the step where I anticipated trouble.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
best way is to remove the housing and insert the pin from the inside and work the thread to the outside.
Once you have that fixed be more careful installing the pin
Cant suggest a tap because I dont know the size

DanD34

Seaman
The size is 5/8-18 UNF.
I suppose I'd ruin the brand new freshly glued bellows by trying to remove it.

Last edited:

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had same problem. Check OD of pivot pin surface. Mine were egg shaped. The amount of force required to remove pin had distorted the pin where the bushing rides.

Removed housing, pin would screw in the threads all the way. Micrometer reading showed the problem.

Bondo

Staff member
I suppose I'd ruin the brand new freshly glued bellows by trying to remove it.

Ayuh,..... It should come apart if yer careful pryin' the glue apart,.....

DanD34

Seaman
Well I got lucky I guess. Picked up a tap and using thread cutting oil was able to run it through the hole with little resistance. Apparently had a thread damaged somehow but worked fine afterward. Tightened pins to 60 ft. lbs. and all seems well.

adrevdahl

Recruit
Well I got lucky I guess. Picked up a tap and using thread cutting oil was able to run it through the hole with little resistance. Apparently had a thread damaged somehow but worked fine afterward. Tightened pins to 60 ft. lbs. and all seems well.
I think it was 90 psi .

Fun Times

Staff member
I think it was 90 psi .
Hi there @adrevdahl , welcome to iboats forums... first I'd like to say thank you for wanting to help out where ever you can information wise here on the forum boards but please know that as you come across threads of interest to you, please take note of the dates and years of the threads you are reading as it is preferred here on this forum (and many others too) that older topics remain an archived topic unless it was your own thread topic in the past... Iboats prefers any thread older than 90 days remain an archived topic.

Thank you!
iboats Moderator team.

Status
Not open for further replies.