Bearing Buddies Ruined?

csukraw

Seaman Apprentice
Went to install bearing buddies on my trailer. Followed instructions but I pumped in too much grease evidently. It started leaking out of the front around the plate. Is it ruined at this point? Could I have done any other damage to the bearings or seals? Haven’t driven it anywhere yet.

Attachments

• B5F539AE-3699-455F-A2FE-6401447AD638.jpeg
    B5F539AE-3699-455F-A2FE-6401447AD638.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
They are not ruined. Grease coming out when you put too much in is normal. Just wipe off the excise and go boating. Over the many years I’ve had that happen dozens of times.

csukraw

Seaman Apprentice
I guess my concern was that if they are over filled and then heat up when driving they would ruin the bearing seals. From what I read online but who knows. So many different views online.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
A true Bearing Buddy bearing has a pressure relief valve that prevents it from over-filling. When you fill it with grease, it will force the piston out partially but maintains a certain amount of pressure within (this is what keeps the water out).
If you have grease coming out the back of the bearings then you may have rear seal damage and will need to replace the seals.
Looks like you are good to go.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
BB can’t expand when bottomed out, full of grease. Will blow rear seal sooner than later

Remove BB, clean out excess grease and reinstall

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
When I add grease, I watch for the plate to move, when it gets out a little I stop. Another thing to consider when installing new ones is to jack up that tire enough to spin it. As you slowy pump in grease, spin the tire. When the plate pushes out stop. In all my years of boating only one BB failure. You still need to pull, clean and repack at least every 2 years or more often if your trailer sees a lot of use

csukraw

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah the plate still has a ways till it’s all the way out. So I think I’m good there.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If your trailer wheel doesn't have brakes, you can fill the hub as much as you want w/o fear of the grease melting and building pressure. If you have brakes, don't overfill the BBs. So when the front plate starts to move, stop pumping.

harringtondav

Commander
I wouldn't worry. It looks like you have plenty of travel left BB makes rubber 'condom' caps to keep leak by grease from spattering your wheels. ...so I guess a little leakage is normal. I added them to my last boat's trailer, and the newest trailer came with the caps installed.
IIRC BB states if you can tilt the pressure plate by pushing sideways on the zerk you have adequate grease since the plate hasn't bottomed out inwards. I make this check, then give enough pumps to see the plate move outward a bit.