Be Careful While Fueling

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Be Careful While Fueling

Just a reminder of how dangerous not venting can be after fueling or getting ready to start the boat. I hope the kid turns out okay.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I know the argument...It costs MONEY.<br /><br />But shouldn't every sterndrive or inboard boat be equipped with a sensor that would disable the key if fumes reached a certainl level? Sensors are available that will sound an alert, but I see precious few. At the very least, there should be a sticker by the fuel fill advising to run the bilge blower while refueling. (Yeah, I know..."Great! Another dang sticker!")

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

This happened about 2 months ago.<br />
31313896.jpg

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Same cause....Didn't vent/evap after refueling.<br />On inboards, it can be deadly to skip blowers.<br />This was a 27'PenYann. The skipper got burned pretty badly, and dilocated his shoulder when he jumped-overboard the only place and way he could. He was trapped by the aft fire, and had to escape forawrd thru the bow hatch.<br /> <br />
31314146.jpg

Ralph 123

Captain

This sort of thing happens too often. <br /><br />
a1.jpg

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

preventative maintainenece! check fuel lines<br />and connections/clamps often.<br />safe boating,<br />M.Y.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Would it not be cost effective to have something like an propane gas sensor that they put in Motor Homes and Travel Trailers for something like this?<br /><br />I know, adds more costs to the boat, but it looks like it would be worth it if a sensor picked up the fumes and kicked the blower on automatically, or would this be a no-no also?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It certainly is do-able. But with lawsuits being as pervasive as they are, nobody want's to go there for fear of lawsuits should the system fail. If you forget to turn the blower on, it's your own dang fault. No company is involved to sue for millions. Frivolous lawsuits keep too many people from developing Good Ideas.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by mellowyellow:<br /> preventative maintainenece! check fuel lines<br />and connections/clamps often.<br />safe boating,<br />M.Y.
Ditto... If you follow up on these stories, the bottom line cause is almost always traced to poor judgement or poor maintenance. <br /><br />I've met my share of boaters who couldn't turn a wrench if their life depended on it... and it does. They use their boat day and night and never bother with anything until it breaks. <br /><br />Great story, and pictures... good reminder to the rest of us to always keep a "heads up" attitude and don't forget that BLOWER SWITCH!

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

boating magazine just did an article on how to install a gas/propane sensor. The article did not discuss cost, but the parts are available.<br /><br />- Brian

SpinnerBait_Nut

If I had an I/O, I think I would invest in something like that as I'm sure you can make it work. IMO

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by briannh1234:<br /> boating magazine just did an article on how to install a gas/propane sensor. The article did not discuss cost, but the parts are available.<br /><br />- Brian
Brian<br />Any chance you might be able to post the month that the article was in? I would like to get a copy of it.<br /><br />Thanks Link

Ralph 123

Captain

If I had an I/O, I think I would invest in something like that as I'm sure you can make it work. IMO
Just read the number of posts in the I/O section SBN where people insist on trying to use car parts (that spark) on and around their engines :rolleyes: You can't get a lot of them to invest in a marine engine, alternator, carburetor or starter never mind a fume detector!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yes Ralph, I have read them and why some are determined to use car parts instead of marine parts on these are beyond me.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Are you guys telling me you can insure an I/O with out a gas sniffer in the engine compartment?<br />I only got an old 25' Cruiser, and it is fitted with a double sensor, one down by the engine, one in the cabin (have LPG stove - but bottle out the back).<br />I turn power on, and don't do a darned thing till I have 2 green lights, and if I have a red, run the test and wait. <br />When gas is detected I hear and audable alarm. Not very loud though. <br />Would love to have a cut out to the ignition though.<br />Had to have this set up to get insurance.<br />The issue with them was not even negotiable.<br />I don't think it is 100% safe, but goes a long way.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Dunaruna

Admiral

Phil, some of the upmarket units have auto bilgeblower and ignition cutout, I have heard of units that also have auto fire extinquisers for the engine compartment. <br /><br />My nextdoor neigbor has one (not with fire ex), the sensitivity is adjustable. On its most sensitive setting the exhaust fumes from other boats set it off (it must sense hydrocarbons as well as L.P.G.). You are dead in the water until it senses 'all clear'. <br /><br />My insurance company doesn't make it compulsory to have one but they offer a reduced premium and reduced excess if a fume detector is fitted.<br /><br />Aldo

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I have had a good think about this topic over dinner Aldo.<br />My Sensor panel is mounted beside my Right knee when I am in the drivers seat. I have to lean back and look down to see it.<br />After the posting of this topic, I have decided to have it moved up to the dash board, mounted beside my depth sounder, so it is always in my vision.<br />The audable alarm is not loud. <br />It went off once and i could just hear it over all other engine/water noises, and couldn't work out what it was or where it was coming from, then I happened to look down and see all the red lights flashing. @#$%)mother of +_*%^&. I whakked it in to neutral and turned it off. Lifted the engine covers and there was definitely a smell of fuel.<br />I am pleased I belong to this site and thankful of the topics raised.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip