Bayliner Hate! hate hate hate hate hate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: Bayliner Hate! hate hate hate hate hate!

Old reputations die hard. I still remember their 1980s ads- they'd put an abusurdly low price in large print, and once you read the fine print you knew why. Offering outboards that were grossly undersized, and were pre-mix when the mainstream had been oil injected for years. At the time they were clearly bottom dragging for customers. And the quality was poor. They are still in business, so they must now be doing something right. Why take any of if personally? It's just a bunch of opinions on a bunch of stuff. Doesn't make it so.

oldjeep

Admiral

You get what you pay for. :)

Some people like steaks and others like hotdogs. :D

Sea Ray = Steaks. Bayliner = Hotdogs. :facepalm:

Yes I did own 3 Bayliners before my Sea Ray. :redface:

All right, I have to ask - you have seen the current small sea rays right? Last 175 I saw looked like a child upholstered it. At least in the small boats SeaRay isn't the caviar it used to be.

Summer Fun

Banned

Sorry, I'm not into small cheap boats anymore. :)

Come on my turd & see real wood & craftsmanship on a 24yr old boat.:)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

You get what you pay for. :)

Some people like steaks and others like hotdogs. :D

Sea Ray = Steaks. Bayliner = Hotdogs. :facepalm:

Always an asterick... That steak might be a piece of overcooked, dried out, shoe leather like bottom-round. And the hotdog is a nice Cloverdale red hotdog just off the grill.

Bayliner did have one true stinker, and it wasn't the force outboards. It was the L-Drive... Take a force outboard, but stick it inside the hull connected to an outdrive of sorts. Problem is that its a pain to work on, and you can't repower with ANYTHING except an identical powerhead.

captkevin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had a 2003 Bayliner 205 & it was a great boat & awesome value. Lots of people say Bayliners lose value faster than others but I have had 5 boats & did the best with the Bayliner. There have several times I regret selling it.

The new ones are very nice & a great value.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I owned a Bayliner. It was a 2052CK 20' Cuddy with a 5.0L V8 Mercruiser. Although I blame the boat for my L5 disc hernation from the rough pounding, the boat itself was durable and never gave me problems. Had I used it on rivers or inland lakes it would be fine. What I noticed is that some of the interior parts are laminated pressboard, and the hinges and latches were very low quality. But other companies do the same. What I also noticed is that the fiberglass hull is not thick at all, and thus is VERY light and VERY fast on the water. This comes at a prices of very rough ride quality. So rough that you would feel pain when you got off the boat.

So to sum up the difference, bayliners can be faster, but often will ride more harsh. This is in part of the less layers of fiberglass.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you can't take some good natured ribbing, then grow some thicker skin, bro. There are some that like to stir the pot, and pick a little bit...but mean no real ill will (like me), and there are those that truly hate the brand for whatever reason. I have had plenty of Bayliner experience, though I have never owned one myself...and never will. Just like many others have mentioned, it is more in the maintenance when you are talking used boats. The trash talking is no different than the Army picking on the "Chair Force", or the SEALs picking on the Rangers. No different than us Mustang owners bashing Camaro owners, and everyone bashing Yugo owners. It has always been and will always be that way. I caught (and still catch) crap for buying an OMC/Ford powered boat. I could care less what people say about it. It's mine, it's paid for, and it will serve the family well for several more years...God willing. Be glad you are a boat owner, and can get out on the water! Just like a Yugo is better than no car at all, a Bayliner is better than no boat at all! Almost. ;)

Summer Fun

Banned

Just remember that !!

Sea Ray bailed out your Baysinker butts with Sea Ray MONEY. :facepalm:

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Not bashing Bayliners, but SeaRays are much better boats. ;)

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

I don't personally have an opinion as to whether Bayliners are good, bad or indifferent however, as they sell more boats than anyone else in the world I think they know the business better than us shade tree guys!

kilowatts

infideltarget

Hi Guys:

I don't personally have an opinion as to whether Bayliners are good, bad or indifferent however, as they sell more boats than anyone else in the world I think they know the business better than us shade tree guys!

kilowatts

The Chinese know how to market and sell stuff too...so they obviously "know the business" too. That mean they make better stuff? Or just make more of it?

loosedog

Recruit

If you look up brunswick boat group, you will see that they own and produce sea ray, maxum, bayliner as well as many other boat brands. I doubt that the hull is different on the boats of the same style. I belive that the interiors may differ, much like gm makes chevy and cadilac, same body and frame with different trim level.

infideltarget

If you look up brunswick boat group, you will see that they own and produce sea ray, maxum, bayliner as well as many other boat brands. I doubt that the hull is different on the boats of the same style. I belive that the interiors may differ, much like gm makes chevy and cadilac, same body and frame with different trim level.

Meh...they are made differently from the get-go. Like a Camry and a Lexus share a few of the same parts, but you can tell they are engineered differently from the start to belong to the market they occupy. But that would explain why so many have said that the smaller Sea Rays have gone to crap as of late. :rolleyes:

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Hold on guys lets not get our panties in a rough but lets look at some facts ok, Bayliner has for the last three decades Marketed themselves as the most economical entry level boats on the market, they have high end boats yes but they have focused on entry level small runabouts for longer then most of us have been into boating so while yes it can be said that they have had their issues it can also be said that they have done more for boating then any other boat manufacturer in history, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Bayliner boats outnumber all other boats in the 15'-19' range by a far margin over the last 30 years just look on craigslist or any of the online classifieds.

Now lets move it one step further, how many of us have heard the saying that the two greatest days in a boaters life are when he buys a boat and then when he sells it, anyone NOT hear it before? My point is this, Boating is not for the faint of heart, it can be a love hate relationship, I don't have any numbers to back my theory but I think its safe to say that probably half the people that get into boating get out because its just to much for them, they lose focus or they simply change lifestyles and boating falls out of favor, there is no shortage of used boats on the market so obviously with most people looking to try something new on the cheap, getting into a boat that has been stored outside in the weather(insert poorly maintained carnage here) so what we (the gods that are lifetime boaters here on iboats) hear the horror story from so many new boaters it holds a place in our minds that we all fear, I don't know many lifetime boaters that do not enjoy sharing boating with new boaters, unfortunately there are not enough of us to go around, add to that the sheer number of cheap bayliners and a bad reputation is born....

infideltarget

Here's an easy way to test. Let's say I am going to buy you a boat. You have your choice of brand (insert name here...i.e. Cobalt, Crownline, Regal, Mariah, Sea Ray, Four Winns, etc) or a Bayliner. All things equal as far as LOA, condition, and name brand of propulsion. Which one you gonna get?

Now, it is a completely different story if you have no boat, and someone buys you a Bayliner. It is a boat. ANY boat is better than no boat at all. And free is even better...especially when it is a heartfelt gift from a loved one. But is it your first choice?

Now, they make some nice looking boats. And I am not knocking anyone for buying one (much ;) ), but just not for me. Of course I have owned some pretty crappy cars, that I would never have seen myself owning, but out of necessity. A boat is not a necessity. Oh who am I kidding? Yes it is a necessity! :D Buy what you want...it's your money! :cool:

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good theory..but not true. Sure they all share the same parent company. Brunswick also makes bowling balls, somehow i think the bowling ball factory and the boat factories are not related. While each of the boat companies may be owned by brunswick (Mercury is too, btw), each company has it's own facilities, R&D, engineers, etc. Each boat is (mostly) totally unique. Now some companies may use the same hull for say 2 185 models, but normally the deck and options are different, denoting the different model.

To get back to the original question, i base my opinion on a few different things. Yes, i believe a bayliner would be a fine boat if taken care of(just like anything else). However, there are so many other brands that in my opinion have higher quality, for the same price. for example: boats it the 175-185-195 have popular companies Bayliner, Larson, Glastron, Tahoe, Four Winns, Stingray, and a few others all competing within 2,000.00 of eachother. In my own opinion (for what it's worth) i like the quality of all of the others listed before Bayliner. Many of Bayliners boats still do not have a full fiberglass liner in them-which hurts them compared to others in my eye.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Due to the 80's models issues, I honestly think Bayliner has not been able to overcome that. I've never owned one and never will. Even today, they still use the goofy-shaped glass in thier crusiers........To me, and this may hurt, the Tahoe's are equal to a 80's Bilge-Liner...........Chopper-Gun, Chopper-Gun......................

Status
Not open for further replies.