Bayliner Hate! hate hate hate hate hate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheejudo

Seaman
So I am only 5-6 posts in on these forums, and I already feel the hate for Bayliners!! Whats with all the rhetoric/sarcasm! I think i missed something :) :facepalm:

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bayliner Hate! hate hate hate hate hate!

I think that you're going to get a lot of opinions on this one!

I'll agree, there's a definite lack of love for the Bayliners. I can remember back in the mid 90's and my ex-wife would call them "cookie cutter" boats. I think she was calling them that because they were mass produced in great quantities and everybody had pretty much the same boat. Something like that.

Anyway, I think that you're going to hear about quality issues as well.

In the end, if you've got a good reliable boat that you and your family enjoy, what's it really matter what other people think?

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just noticed that you're stationed in Lawton, OK. I used to be stationed at Altus AFB. I did plenty of boating on Lake Altus with my Sanger runnerbottom drag boat. It was about the only good thing about Altus!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The older (early 80's) ones had some construction issues however, they changed and and continually improved.

I have to laugh at some of the comments from the "hater's" when you read their profile you will see they own some "other" brand which is no longer in business.

Bayliner has very good customer service and has treated the iboats member's very well.

If this turns into a bashing thread it will be closed.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Bayliner has very good customer service and has treated the iboats member's very well.

Not many manufacturers show up here to directly post and deal with issues! Hands down some of the best customer support out there! I don't see some of those big dollar boat mfg's here...

I would have no issues buying a bayliner as my next boat, as well as having owned one in the past. It all comes down to maintenance. Neglect it, and ANY boat can be trashed in a relatively short amount of time.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I've always thought Bayliners were pretty nice boats, you get what you pay for!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Early Bayliners did have some quality issues but have improved over the years. Bayliner is an entry level hull and was coupled with Force outboards--the double whammy for bashers. Their eyes light up when they hear that. It is the "bandwagon" thing. It is just popular to bash them even if you have no experience with the brand. Like the girl in high school with a "rep"--even if she is a virgin. Everyone still talks about her.

However, I often write that the same company makes Trophy hulls and no one seems to hate them. At any rate as an entry level boat it does the job and is nicely appointed. I have no problem with that brand and as a matter of fact, I think they made some nice stylish hulls. "course, I'm partial to blue and white.

My friend had a very nice 20 foot Bayliner cuddy. With a chevy 4.3 V6 it topped out at 55 MPH. Not too shabby!

If you own a Bayliner, ignore what you hear and enjoy your boat until you want a bigger or newer one.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Thanks for your service judo. I've been out your way a few times as I have an uncle in Lawton. He refers to himself as the governor of Oklahoma. We come out every couple of years to visit the bison and eat at Meers. If you ever want a home cooked meal and/or some entertainment from a real character let me know and I'll hook you up. Don't worry about the haters. Haters gotta hate. So goes life. If the Bayliner makes you happy that's all that matters. You didn't buy 'er for them, right? Welcome aboard.:cool:

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm in love with my 1984 Bayliner - 27 years old and it's in great condition!
I had one soft spot in the deck that was from a leaking cover and when I went under to inspect the transom and stringers I was very impressed with the way that the stringers were fully glassed from bow to stern - when reading the restoration threads it was obvious that a lot of other manufactures hadn't done that at the time.

The upholstery has stood up well (still original) with just a couple of UV cracks and the boat rides nice.

It has the 1950's technology Chrysler/Force outboard but it's so simple to work on that I love it!

So it's a simple, clean looking, cheap to run boat - probably why a lot of people hate them :)

It's the marine equivalent of the Model T Ford

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most of the haters/bashers have never owned a Bayliner, but they are also the ones that SHOULD start out everything they say with "I heard" or "They said" or ".... my friends barber says". No first hand knowledge at all, just a repeater.

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think bayliner is a BAD boat per say. Some of the older ones were pretty poorly built with very poor power plants. The newer i/o's use the same Mercruiser line up that everyone else uses. They don't have the same fit and finish as the higher end boats but they don't have the higher end cost either. Personally I would never own one, but that is a personal taste. Just like I would never own a bass boat, but I don't think they are BAD per say..... Just not my thing.

Viking62

Seaman Apprentice

"I heard" Bayliners were junk too. Now I own a 2008 185 bowrider with a 3 litre and Alpha 1 drive.
I love, wife loves and kids are having a blast behind it. Best of all, I bought it 2 years old, in mint shape and IT'S PAID FOR!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It was about the only good thing about Altus!

Oh come now!!!!!!!! There's OTHER GOOD things about ALTUS!!!!!
lolhit.gif
toothlessgiggler.gif
I just LOVED the $3500 hail damage to my 1 year old car when I was there!!!(1 of several times I was there!!)

There's really not all that much bad about Bayliners. Some of their construction practices were 'iffy" but I found similar problems with my 87 Four Winns........AND Four Winns is supposed to be an "upper crust" boat!!

TilliamWe

Banned

I'd rather buy a brand new Bayliner than the same boat with the word Maxum on the side for thousands more.

masintenn

Seaman Apprentice

I had a friend with a 19' Trophy that we fished the heck out of the Gulf of Mexico in going out of Dauphin Island Alabama. We were new to boating, but had a blast.

Two bad things about it were that the T top would bounce coming off swells and actually launched several rods out of the rocket launchers. It would also soak you to the bone from spray coming off the hull. I also fished from a Contender and it was like a Cadillac. Solid, stable and dry.

I think Bayliners would be fine for fresh water river running.

oldjeep

Admiral

I'd rather buy a brand new Bayliner than the same boat with the word Maxum on the side for thousands more.

Not really an option any more - Bayliner figured out the same thing and stopped making Maxums a couple years ago.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey, I "resemble" that remark. To each, his own.

TilliamWe

Banned

Not really an option any more - Bayliner figured out the same thing and stopped making Maxums a couple years ago.

Well, that was certainly a good idea.

When it comes to "pocket" cruisers, i.e. 24 to 30 foot long fiberglass cruiser with a "mid berth", Bayliner would be impossible to ignore. If/when I am in the market for a boat like that I will definately check out the Bayliner 265. It has a price less than most other's 24' cruisers.

Summer Fun

Banned

You get what you pay for. :)

Some people like steaks and others like hotdogs. :D

Sea Ray = Steaks. Bayliner = Hotdogs. :facepalm:

Yes I did own 3 Bayliners before my Sea Ray. :redface:

Status
Not open for further replies.