bayliner, chevy 305 w volvo penta 280

zerobalance

Cadet
hello im quite new to posting forum fromat listings and such, however i have found alot of valuable info on here. so thanks go out in advance.

Issue is my engine has a ratteling sound coming from the aft of the engine. the engine was just overhauled with a valve job, manafolds and risers. the outdrive had the driveshaft replaced, and has been sitting 12 years since a new rebuild on the upper drive. the engine is strong. the simptoms are confusing. either way im gonna have to remove the outdtive and start with u joints and bellows. i dont really want to seperate the engine from the drive but thats how it goes. ill try to post some pics soon.

heres what happened....engine and drive were yard tested. thansmission shifted good. engime ran strong. water pumped good even at high rpm.

floated the boat, and she ran fine . voyaged about an hour and was overheating. i pulled the exhaust hoses off and sand shot out that i picked up on a sandbar i visited. this is where everything went south.

i then focused on the exhaust. the hoses startes to leak because it was hot.....Since i was out i referred to the duct tape guide and rapped the hell out of it, put rtv every where, and continued to blow sand out until only water came out. i then noticed water in my oil. i panacked, but later figured it may have been from bblowing the exhaust.

the next morning she started up and ran fine for a while. until my batter wouldnt crank it. (the alternator wasnt charging). my friend towed me to his house and i charged the batts enough to start, and putted off on the way home.

as i throtthed up i was losing rpms and it acted like it wasnt getting fuel. i cleaned the filters out, andtried again.

so i idled from pensacola beach to port in milton.

once in port i have changed the alternator which is now working.
had a valve job done.
150 dry, 160 wet on the compression test.
put in clear hoses from the thermostat housing to the exhaust manifolds so that i could visually see water flow. it works great btw. no bubbles
after i put the heads back on and did a startup everything seemed normal. oil pressure, temp, water flow. raised the drive no smoke, an no iol after the engine warmed up.
as i motored out i noticed a rattle aft of the engine, but it shifts normal, the engine locked up. it squeked when it did. i re started the engine and heard a clunking aft of the engine. its puzzeling ....bellows? bearing? u joints? real bad work done in the past? im gonna try to grease the hell out of the bearing behind the engine, but doubt that will have impact.

could it be the springs in the damper plate? the drive shafr was broke and replaced.

i have to get the boat out of the water. and ill get some pics up

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: bayliner, chevy 305 w volvo penta 280

Sounds like the flywheel housing bearings are shot. Usually happens when the ujoint bellows gets water in it. Then the water gets past the seal and into those bearings. Water and bearings means rust which means noisy bearings.

You will have to remove the engine to replace them.
Here's a thread you should read on doing this.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095

zerobalance

Cadet
Re: bayliner, chevy 305 w volvo penta 280

Thank you Don. all info is appreciated. that diagram tells it better than the book. im very mechanical, and really have to kick myself in the pants over thinking the power loss was engine related. Either way, this boat sat with a leaking rub rail, and leaking windows. 12 years....fortunately i saved the apoulstry. most of it ..... im going to look at a 33 foot shrimp boat that was sunk tomorrow. I got a glimpse today. engines and transmissions are supposed to be there. It sank in port due to pump failure while it rained.