Evinrude 48 Missing/Sputtering amongst other problems....

NoelG

Cadet
48 Evinrude SPL
Idles roughly... shakes alot.
Without even touching my warm up lever the engine revs up a bit on its own(not alot but def. noticeable) Just had carbs clean. Engine will spit(a light backfire) before it is warmed up properly. Engine cleary has a "sputter" or "miss". Motor starts very easily....

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start? Just had my carbs cleaned... new plugs, new coil...fresh gas... Motor had been sitting up for a few years before i purchased it. Brought it to a mechanic last year who got it running decent... he replaced my fuel lines, propeller, and just about everything needed... (supposedly)

Its actually a reliable motor at the moment... but its obvious that something is wrong with it... (im new to boating)

Thanks in advance and if you need further detail please ask

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 48 Missing/Sputtering amongst other problems....

Possible causes:

Linkage between carburetors is not adjusted properly, that would cause one throttle butterfly being slightly open at idle. Both must be fully closed at idle.

Slow speed jets are wrong size.

Throttle is opening up too soon in relation to the timing. The throttle cam roller must just touch the cam when the scribe on the cam is dead center with the roller, which in turn just starts to open the butterflies.

The throttle cam may have been moved on its threaded shaft which would cause the synchronization to be out of specs (see your service manual for that setup).

NOTE: List the model number of that engine so that we know exactly which 48hp you're speaking of.