Bayliner Capri deck repair

dalephilbeck

Cadet
I am thinking of replacing all the wood in my capri. Ive seen other threads showing to glass or epoxy both sides of the plywood, but what about the stringers? Seal them also with glass or epoxy or just treated lumber? My first guess would be to seal every bare piece of wood you can. I have also noticed that no one uses the cloth to seal the wood just rolls on the epoxy. Would there be an weight issue if you used it?

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bayliner Capri deck repair

I am thinking of replacing all the wood in my capri. Ive seen other threads showing to glass or epoxy both sides of the plywood, but what about the stringers? Seal them also with glass or epoxy or just treated lumber? My first guess would be to seal every bare piece of wood you can. I have also noticed that no one uses the cloth to seal the wood just rolls on the epoxy. Would there be an weight issue if you used it?

Have you seen Frisco's restore !

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=454460

The man should rename his boat "Glassed by 1708":D

Seriously there are loads of threads here on what to do about transom and stringer repair but if you're going to do it right ,check that link out.

rickryder

Commander

Plenty of resto threads to follow.....we like the 1708 biax for stringers and csm for the deck.....pressure treated lumber is too wet and heavy......it's great for the deck in your yard....not a boat ;)

wisemsc

Cadet

Have you seen Frisco's restore !

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=454460

The man should rename his boat "Glassed by 1708":D

Seriously there are loads of threads here on what to do about transom and stringer repair but if you're going to do it right ,check that link out.

I completely agree. Check out Frisco's thread and his YouTube video channel. Lots of good info.

I am working on restoring my 1990 17' Bayliner Capri. Just started this weekend.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=493297

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

Here's some drawings on how to do the wood in your boat. Friscoboater has the videos showing you how this is alll done. Materials Needed... 404 laminating Resin, 1.5oz CSM, 1708 Biaxial Cloth, Cabosil,
1/4" Chopped Fibers. PL Polyurethane Adhesive

(Click the Pics to Enlarge

Stingers

StringerLayupAndInstallation.JPG

Transom

TransomBuild.jpg

Deck

MakingDeck.jpg

Welcome Aboard!!!

WelcomeAboard.JPG

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have also noticed that no one uses the cloth to seal the wood just rolls on the epoxy. Would there be an weight issue if you used it?

You must have been looking at some real bad half-*****ed threads! :eek:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

You must have been looking at some real bad half-*****ed threads! :eek:

You do mean *baked* right EZ :) Aye..that bread does not cook.

Treated lumber + boats is a no no ..

Epoxy and fiberglass is not needed ( epoxy and a wood boat is good ) .

Treat all wood with resin ( poly is fine ).

Overlay 1708 on top of the stringers is not only hard..its not needed ..only mat..

Prep and tabbing is your Main issue .. along with pics :) ..

Need them pics m8

YD.

dalephilbeck

Cadet

Nice drawings and very helpful. So from what i see in the drawing you apply csm to both sides of the deck. That was my main concern. I looked at a couple threads on this and they just rolled the epoxy over both sides of the deck surface with no csm or 1708 and allowed it to cure.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nice drawings and very helpful. So from what i see in the drawing you apply csm to both sides of the deck. That was my main concern. I looked at a couple threads on this and they just rolled the epoxy over both sides of the deck surface with no csm or 1708 and allowed it to cure.

If you use epoxy that is correct. You do NOT need to use mat. Be aware that epoxy is approx. twice the cost of Poly resin BUT again you do not have the expense of the mat or the extra labor of applying the mat etc.. Decision is yours. Also bear in mind that there are some who believe that there can be adhesion problems with epoxy and the chemicals used in treated plywood. IMHO I would use the Poly and NOT use the Treated plywood but rather Ext. Grade Plywood, but there is NO reason you can't use the Epoxy other than the concerns stated. As YD pointed out you do NOT have to use the 1708 on the topside of the DECK or ON the stringers. I WILL be re-doing my drawings to reflect this change in the very near future.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

As YD pointed out you do NOT have to use the 1708 on the topside of the DECK or ON the stringers.

Understand that On the stringers means Capping or wrapping the tops of the stringer .. You still want to bring the 1708 up the sides of the stringers ;) .

YD.