Battery hook up for recharge

A.F.C. 8511

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have two batteries on my boat. House and Engine battery.
How do I connect them in order to get the engine alternator to charge BOTH while running?
Also do both batteries have to be same type of cell/core/ material make up?

alldodge

Staff member
Hook up with a ON/OFF/BOTH battery switch. Place in both for the ALT to charge both.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Two Bat one switch.jpg Views:	1 Size:	38.1 KB ID:	10612791

Attachments

• Two Bat one switch.jpg
    Two Bat one switch.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 0

A.F.C. 8511

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Alldodge when I first hooked my batteries up I had it EXACTLY like to first picture. Basically just a cable running between both neg. post. But it would cause all my electronics (just lights mostly) to be on.
So did I do something wrong?
I hooked my Perko switch just like the picture. And as long as I dont have that neg-neg cable, the perko works fine. Bat 1, Bat 2, or both.
what gives?

alldodge

Staff member
Yep, you have something hoked up incorrectly.
The cable from the starter post goes to the Common
Bat 1 and 2 go to the positive post on each bat
Grounds go together and get connected to the block

For this to stay ON without any switches turned ON then there is a line feed the circuit directly.

The starter post connection handles just the motor, gauges and trim pump. I mention trim pump because the trim pump is normally also connected to the starter post

Things like lights, radio, accessories should come from the house bat feed by another Positive and Negative wires

Gen Wiring Diagram.jpg

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just hook my electronics batter up to a charger when I return. It would be better to get some juice while running but there is no way my small 70hp outboard rectifier is charging up a deep cycle that has been being discharged for hours by a stereo on the short ride home each afternoon so it would have to go on an external charger anyway so I don't worry that much about it.