Bathroom Remodel Contractor $ Question

OnTheWaterNow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bathroom Remodel Contractor $ Question

I am not a tile guy by trade im a brick mason but I have and continue to lay a ton of tile. What is his reason the tile takes longer to lay.

captmello

Captain

I am not a tile guy by trade im a brick mason but I have and continue to lay a ton of tile. What is his reason the tile takes longer to lay.

If your laying 6X6 ceramic tile for a shower surround, it cuts easily with a score and snap type cutter and it is usually self spacing. switch to a tumbled marble, probably 3X6 and you've got twice as many pieces, you have to cut everything on a wet saw, and you will need to use spacers. It easily takes twice as long.

OnTheWaterNow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cut everything wet well I dont my helper does.Who puts 3x6 in a shower way to many joints and it looks awful. You end up with more square footage of grout then tile.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
We've had a bit of remodeling done to our home over the past few years. Standard practice around here (San Diego) seems to be to quote parts of the job (tiling, etc.) at a price that includes a materials allowance. The materials allowance would be based on builders grade stuff. If you select something more expensive you pay the difference between actual cost and allowance. This practice would typically be used when all the finish materials haven't been selected in advance. Your situation may be a little different if you had pre-selected the tile.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
This thread is over 4 1/2 years old, I am sure the remodel is done!!

Bondo

Staff member
This thread is over 4 1/2 years old, I am sure the remodel is done!!

Ayuh,.... A Spammer brought it up, He's gone, deleted, but the posts no longer go back into the archives where they belong, like they Used too,....