Bass Buggy Pontoon Boat

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys,<br /> I need to repair the floor on my pontoon boat due to a slight "accident". There's a spot on the floor where the plywood cracked/broke and when you step on it it is sort of springy. Other than expense, it looks to be a PAIN to strip everything off and try to get it all back on. I can get to the damaged area from underneath the boat. Any suggestions? Would a patch of plywood on the bottom work? The damaged area is slightly smaller than 1 square foot and unnoticable from the top until you step there. Then you sink about one half inch

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bass Buggy Pontoon Boat

can you post a picture from underneath. or email me one 'tashasdaddy@comcast.net'. yes it might be possible.

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry Tash, I've been out of touch for a couple of weeks and now I'm going out of town for a week. I'll try to get you a pic in about a week, around March 8 to 10. Thanks

mulliganmagic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've used the product git rot on the floor of my boat to repar a large soft spot about 5" x 16". The only problem is that I used it with gravity working with me not against me. So since you're working from underneath I would mix a fair amout of saw dust with the git rot (basically a penitrating epoxy) and follow the instructions that come with it and you should be fine. It's a good product. Make sure to air out the rot so that it's completly dry before using the product. http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...*=009072306&**********=710045342&view_id=3454

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Cut out the bad piece from one crossmember to the other and refasten a new piece in place. You will no doubt have to go a little bigger on the repair, but worth it to be able to screw into the crossmembers for support. Seal the edges of all wood.... Kinda like this:<br /><br />
toondeckfix.jpg
<br /><br />If you can't do this, cut out the section and put some support underneath, like 2 X 4's screwed from crossmember to crossmember where the patch will be, to stiffen it from below. Not pretty, but it would work for now. Nobody's gonna look under there much anyway...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

rick, you stole my idea, i wanted to see how bad it was before i gave advice.

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rick/Tash.... Thanks. That was my way of thinking, too. The soft spot was from a tree limb falling (Nasty wind storm one night). The soft spot is dead center of two crossmembers and about 4 inches from the edge. I was thinking cut out the bad spot and cut a plug to fit the hole. Then cut a peice to overlap (from the bottom) it running up to the cross members and 2x3 on each end. Last, cover it in some epoxy to seal it up.

tld

Recruit

You could also use the epoxy like a sandwich between the 2 pieces.We call this buttering. Mix the epoxy thick spread on the patch then use screws to pull tight. The material will squeeze out the sides and help to seal it