Base timing procedure on Nov 2006 5.0 Merc TKS

lkgboater71

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 26, 2012
Messages
14
Hi All -

I've read all the posts I can find on setting the base timing on merc engines, but I'm just not sure how it applies to my particular engine.

I have a service manual on order and will hopefully have it soon, but in the meantime I was hoping someone here could assist...

There are 3 wires coming off the distributor:

1) Black
2) White/Green
3) White/red

I've tried jumping the(white/green) and (White/red) and grounding it, but the engine stalls.

I've also read that the Purple/White wire should be grounded and the shift interrupter be disconnected.
I did find a Purple white wire coming out of the wiring harness towards the front of the engine next to the shift interrupter wires. This wire has a rubber plug installed. I tried grounding that wire, but the timing didn't change.

Does anyone know what the correct procedure for this engine is?
Thanks!!

--
Shawn.
 

lkgboater71

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 26, 2012
Messages
14
Re: Base timing procedure on Nov 2006 5.0 Merc TKS

Ok I got my service manual, timing light and jumper cable. Everything is hooked up and working, now I'm looking for where to line up the white timing mark and I don't see anything. Am I missing a piece here or am I looking in the wrong spot?
missing.jpg
 

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
19,555
Re: Base timing procedure on Nov 2006 5.0 Merc TKS

wrong spot, try the other side
 

lkgboater71

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 26, 2012
Messages
14
Re: Base timing procedure on Nov 2006 5.0 Merc TKS

Now I'm feeling like an idiot. The only other place I can get a good look at the timing sticker is looking down to the left of the power steering pump. I still don't understand what I'm supposed to line the timing mark up with.
IMG_0547[1].jpg
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: Base timing procedure on Nov 2006 5.0 Merc TKS

There is a cast notch in the timing chain cover that is 0?


attachment.php










.
 

Attachments

  • Timing mark.jpg
    Timing mark.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 0

lkgboater71

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 26, 2012
Messages
14
Re: Base timing procedure on Nov 2006 5.0 Merc TKS

Thank you very much!! I literally cannot see that mark with my particular engine installation, I had to feel around with my hand to find it and chalked a mark on another part of the engine.
 
Top