Baretta Success Open Bow

BarettaRestore

Recruit
Hello All,

I am new to boats and hoping this site and you all can help me out from time to time! Me and a couple buddies found an 88 Baretta Success for $400 that we purchased. The boat seems to be in decent shape at best, with a newly rebuilt engine. Have not taken up the carpet yet to check the wood, but the outer shell is in fantastic shape. The boat certainly needs some interior work done, but that is why we bought this. We are looking forward to starting this project! We will post pics tomorrow when we pick it up, and go from there! Any suggestion are greatly appreciated and any knowledge on this particular boat is welcomed! Hang with us, we are new to this, but are super excited to get started! :)

Thanks!

Nick, Aaron, and Josh

finx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Baretta Success Open Bow

Welcome!

I picked up my first boat last month! I was completely new to boats as well. So far I've spend 1K in tools and supplies. 40 hours of labor and I'm a quarter of the way there. It's a lot of work but I've never felt so accomplished.

Have fun and read, read read. The forums has virtually every question already answered.

BarettaRestore

Recruit

We are looking forward to it, picking it up today in a couple hours actually, then plan on getting right to work. Thanks in advance to any help or tips!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

I'm not an I/O guy but...
All boats tend to rot from the bottom up. If she's been outside and exposed to the elements for any length of time then you should...
Check the motor mounts extensively for any signs of rot.
Check the transom especially around the outdrive for any discoloration and on the inside for any softspots or signs of leaking.
Check every Square inch of the deck, All corners, edges, Everywhere for softspots.
If she has a ski locker, get your head and some light in there and check for wet. Drill into the sides down low and see if the shavings from the drill are wet or dry.
If the Hull is Foam Filled, and is suspect it is due to regulations, you should ensure it is dry and not waterlogged. Wet foam can add up to as much as 800# in additional weight to you boat

Lot's of help here on the forum so post some pics and ask your questions, we'll be here for ya!!!

WelcomeAboard.jpg

BarettaRestore

Recruit

boat.jpg

Will have some larger and alot more pictures to follow in next couple days, just wanted to throw one up for now!

captmello

Captain

Good Luck! Start with the motor and outdrive. Make sure they are in working order, otherwise the money is going to get out of control.

Nice to see another Baretta owner on the boards.

More Pics!:)

I am brand new to the site as well, and just became the proud owner of that exact same boat (Same color scheme even) so I think I will likely have many of the same questions as you.

Glad to find a place with so much readily available knowledge.

And a nice coincidence that we both took on essentially the same project at the same time. Hopefully I can count on you to ask at least some of my questions before I have to. It will help preserve some of my pride I think, the less I have to openly flaunt my inexperience ;)

-Jake