Bald Eagles coming off the endangered list.. need input

Link

Rear Admiral
Yesterday my mother in law remarked that they were going to be taken off the list.<br />My reply was that I didnt see where that would make a difference one way or another as they were not a game bird anyway.<br /><br />Man I got hit with Both Barrels from her and my wife.<br /><br />Fishermen shoot them! Just like seals<br />Hunters shoot them!<br />People with guns shoot them!<br />Kids with pellet guns shoot them!<br />People with bows and arrows shoot them!<br /><br />Bottom line is BUSH shoots them and I know that :D <br /><br />However foolish their remarks were I said that I would do some research on it.<br />And mabe their remarks are not so foolish. I really dont know. So here are my two questions<br /><br />A: What put the Bald Eagle on the endangered list in the first place?<br />B: Does anyone here know of Anyone who would harm a Bald Eagle for the sake of just killing it!<br /><br />I'm also going to do some searching on the web but what better place than here to get information first hand from people.<br /><br />Thanks to all who reply.. and keep it nice as I have to print replys since my mother in law doesnt have a computer.<br /><br />Link

ob

Admiral
Re: Bald Eagles coming off the endangered list.. need input

I wasn't aware that they were coming off of the endangered or protected list.Fact is ,they aren't endemic to a large region of this planet we live on and probably should be protected.But then ,that's just my 2 cents.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Bald Eagles were originally put on the list because DDT nearly wiped them out. The Eagles have made a remarkable comeback, but some people still will shoot them just for sport. Other people disturb them incidentally like disturbing their nests during breeding season. Fortunately, Eagles are federally protected birds whether they are on the endangered list or not. It is illegal even to pick up a feather you find on the ground. Some Native American tribes can get permits to collect Eagle feathers for their ceremonies and what not. As far as people killing them just for the sake of killing them, it happens. Here in Arizona the game and fish dept. has at least 20 or 30 birds in recovery all the time from people injuring them or capturing them illegally. BTW Farmers around the country are wanting to bring DDT back! They don't care this toxic chemical was responsible for the extinction or near extinction of countless species of birds. The affects of it's use are still felt even today. I could rant about this for a long time, but I'll quit while I'm still in a good mood. :)

Homerr

Commander

We have them around here, and they are a magnificent creature for sure.<br /><br />I hunt and fish, and I've known some individuals that use to have fun with guns and critters, but they would have never took out a Bald Eagle.<br /><br />I never knew they were coming off the list either. <br /><br />H.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

If there are too many bald eagles people will call them a pest or a "sport" bird and they will get shot.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not all that fired up about the bald eagle as a raptor, since they are basically scavengers, but I would never shoot at one. Don't know anyone who would. We have a few around here and they are beautiful to watch fly and to see them catch a fish occasionally. I agree with Ben Franklin that the wild turkey should have been our national bird. Now, I will shoot one of them.

Xcusme

Commander

Gees!! That's good news....I was getting sick of eating Spotted Owls!! :eek: :eek: <br /><br />Just kidding of course!<br /><br />I'm really afraid Rolmops might be right, I pray he's wrong....for ALL of us, I pray he wrong....

Skinnywater

Commander

There are a lot of people that will shoot one. An endangered status won't protect them from these same people.<br />It's mostly kids and deviates that will shoot one just for the heck of it.<br />Pretty much anyone that shoots a road sign qualifies.<br /><br />I was wondering when they'd be taken off the list.<br />They're sure common around here. If I'm on the water, I see several in a day.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I was watching one build a nest today. Really cool to see it coming and going with big branches in its feet. He/she was so preoccupied with the homestead that he didn't even care that we were within 200' of the tree. I was just casting away and kept hearing snapping branches behind me. Eventually I spotted it in the tree on the shoreline.<br /><br />Anyway, being removed from the list only means that the numbers are growing and are now at a health population number. The birds are still protected and the penalties for injuring or killing one, are steep.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I wish they would take aligators and manatees off the list, and place boaters on it, down here in the land of the 100 degree mosquito.<br />Those gators can wipe-out the front end when you hit them on the road. And sea cows don't use the channels... They like the flats. Sea grass--- Now that is undangered. Them manatees ate most of what the prop gouges missed.

PW2

Commander

DDT was clearly the big culprit, but all sorts of other things came together to threaten the bald eagle, including loggers and clearcuts, as well as idiots with firearms.<br /><br />There is no question they are making a comeback, but habitat and abundance of fish populations will always be a problem that needs to be watched.<br /><br />You cannot just save one species--you must monitor and protect the entire habitat and ecosystem, which is a mystery to many developers and politicians.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Habitat and food supplies have been a natural population controller for centuries PW2.<br /><br />I think I saw a bald eagle the other day around here. I have not seen it since though. Was awsome to see it just soaring on by. I don't think they should take them off the endangered list, maybe ease up a little on some of the restrictions that would effect their habitat.

gaugeguy

Captain

Just because it may come off the endangered species list doesn't mean it won't still be a protected species. All that it would mean is there is enough of their population where extinction isn't imminent.<br /><br />They are incredible to see in the wild, we have several nesting pairs around here and it is the highlight of the day to see one soaring over the lake.

Carphunter

Commander

Have to agree with guageguy on this one.<br /><br />Don't let it go to your head. ;)

SoulWinner

Commander

Last week I saw for the first time a Bald Eagle in the wild. They are not common in NW FL, Obviously, and it was a total rush to see one flying, looking in the water (I was fishing at the time) for a meal. Almost brought a tear, really. What a magnificent bird!<br /><br />One other reason they became endangered is from dung heads with guns that shoot at everything that moves. Juvie Eagles are solid chestnut colored, they don't get the whit feather til they are adult, and therefore are killed because they are not recognized as Eagles.<br /><br />One serious comment though is that the fact that the Eagle has made a comeback says something great about the United States and our desire to care for the environment, even us evil republicans, THAT is why it's not widely splahed across the news!

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> including loggers and clearcuts, as well as idiots with firearms.<br />
I wasnt even going to reply to this thread, untill I read this.<br /><br />Where do you think the Eagles hunt, in the trees?<br /><br />Where do you think the deer and elk forage, in the forests?<br /><br />Ever since the clear cutting has been slowed down, the hunting has gone you know where. If there isnt anything for them to eat, there wont be any.<br /><br />They eat in the clear cuts as they grow back.<br /><br />Just like the Condors in California, Condors are basically buzzards, and they eat dead things, you want to know why there are not as many condors, there isnt enough dead things for them to eat, They shouldpick up all the road kill and take it out into the woods and dump it as condor food if they want them to survive.<br /><br />Just plain stupidity, <br /><br />Anyone that would shoot an Eagle or a hawk for that matter is worthless and deserves to be in jail now days.<br /><br />About 45 years ago, I was staying with my cousin on there ranch, and they were having trouble with an eagle killing and eating lambs, after it killed and carried off half a dozen, they had to kill it. They didnt want to, but it was a matter of necesaty.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Drowned Rat wrote:
BTW Farmers around the country are wanting to bring DDT back! They don't care this toxic chemical was responsible for the extinction or near extinction of countless species of birds.
DR,<br />I am the son and grandson of farmers. While I am not a farmer I know many who are. I know no one who even wants to use organophosphates much less DDT. WHO wants to bring it back? One nutcase? It will never happen. Haven't even heard of this, though there might well be someone who would if they could. All the farmers I know want to see a balanced ecology and are more interested in using beneficial predatory insects when possible or more selective, short lived chemicals when not. As to eagles, we paid the price on the farm for not having enough predators around since they were slaughtered in the previous 100 years. We had to work hard to keep the rodent population in balance. (That was one enjoyable chore for us boys as teenagers! :D , but we lost tons of walnuts to groundsquirrels ) Most farmers have learned their lesson- there are expensive repercussions to screwing with the ecology of an area. If nothing else it costs money they can scarce afford to lose, but the great majority have a conscience as well.<br /><br />As to the idiot wanna be cowboys who would shoot eagles, road signs, or anything else after consuming adequate quantities of liquid courage- too bad THEY aren't on the endangered list! I have reported several to the sheriff's office, and have nearly had to return fire when out in the orchard. People like this deserve to be behind bars. Please report these morons at every opportunity!