Bald Eagles coming off the endangered list.. need input

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Bald Eagles coming off the endangered list.. need input

Bearcat, of course there are farmers who feel both ways. But this is not an issue isolated to one "nutcase". Some people still love this stuff. It works great and it's cheap. Also, DDT is a very effective mosquito killer and with the introduction of West Nile, there are many who think we should bring it back. As for it never being brought back, never say never. This issue is brought up year after year with some support in the Senate. DDT is being used today in some African countries to control Malaria. I shouldn't have said "Farmers" want it back, that was unfair. It's actually a much bigger problem.

SoulWinner

Commander

Bearcat, the biggest Hawks I've ever seen were in Kansas. I was stationed there at Ft. Riley, and there were these really cute little squirl looking thingies running around everywhere. They had rows of spots running their backs, and the fur on their tails was flat I think. Anyhoo, with the high rodent population, the hawks grew big and mighty and beautiful. I can remember many days driving around in the country, exploring with my wife, and we would see hawks standing on fence posts that were HUGE. They would stand there, at attention, wings back, chest out, brows furrowed and survay the landscape as though they were King. Wow, brings back good mems....

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I remember twenty years ago it was neat to see them here but know they are a common sight. Not unusal to see three or four a day if you are out and about. They are still nice to see thou and love to spot them with a fish in the tallons. They are one of the few eagles that fish regularily and are quite good at it, so they are often refferd to as sea eagles. Growing up we had a Bald eagle preying on lambs, the DNR tried to trap it to no availe so they gave us permission to eradicate it. Had the oppertunity to pick it off twice but for some reason I passed, a couple weeks after my second oppertunity they were finally sucesfull in there attempt to trap it. I can see from the local population it may be time to change there status. As for your argument with the ladies sometimes ya just gotta ask yourself...Is this the hill I wanna die on today? Regardless here's my answer's A) DDT and mercury B) No

Link

Rear Admiral

Thanks to everyone for replying. I just knew I was gonna be correct :rolleyes: Thats the way it goes some times. But getting correct information is better than just thinking your right<br />Thanks again<br />Link<br /><br />neumanns <br />
As for your argument with the ladies sometimes ya just gotta ask yourself...Is this the hill I wanna die on today?
LOL Ain't that the truth :) Don't mind my mother in law being right but my Wife! Uggg jking

FLATHEAD

Captain

Sorry I am a little late on this one. I have a very cool link here that I have had in my favorites for quite some time now. It tells you all about Eagles and has a live cam of a pair of nesting eagles with chicks, The web cam is very good. You get to see the little guys in real time, it is really cool when the mature birds are in the picture. Might be a little tough for those of you with dial up. Just click on the live cam link once you get to the page. Enjoy!<br /><br /> http://www.nu.com/eagles/

Link

Rear Admiral

Flahthead <br />That is really cool! Cant wait to have mother in law over to watch it. <br /><br />Thanks and I just book marked it also

magster65

Commander

Off the list? News to me too. I live near a fairly heavily forested area on Vancouver island... eh'. There's enough eagles here for the whole continent I'm sure. They are amazing animals. We sometimes jig for cod and if we get a little guy we bonk him on the head and throw him back. The eagles are always watching. They will come down and pick them up from right beside the boat. It's truly an awesome sight as they approach... let me tell ya', they're bigger than they look from a distance!

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

They will still be protected under the eagle protection act. This law will afford them nearly the same level of protection they have had in the past.