Bad Spark plugs?

Red_Fisher

Cadet
I have been having trouble with my 2017 Yamaha 115 SHO unable to get anything above 3000-4000 RPMs. I have been trying to troubleshoot, and took out the spark plugs today. Can any experienced people advise how they look to you? Could a “bad” spark plug still look ok?

018BC64A-3CD6-43F1-AF01-EC124DEC1642.jpeg

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Just my opinion,
the ones with the tan colored porcelain look like they should, the ones that are still white are not getting proper fuel to burn properly

Red_Fisher

Cadet
thank you. I'm just waiting for my fuel injectors to be returned from getting professionally tested and cleaned. I'm actually hoping they were clogged

robert graham

Admiral
You’re probably right about your injectors…may need cleaning….motor trying to run on 3 cylinders or less. Is your fuel clean and fresh? …do you have a fuel/ water separator type filter on your transom?….Do you use a fuel stabilizer like Stabil or similar?

Red_Fisher

Cadet
I had the fuel injectors professionally tested, cleaned and retested again and they were all fine. I have fresh gas, new fuel filter and new fuel water separator. The primer bulb stays hard, and the gas tank seems to be venting ok. I systematically tested all the spark plus today and all the cylinders seem to be ok. I also took off the VST and the filter was completely clear. I’m afraid that the problem might be something beyond my capability, maybe something electronic or with computer. i’m open to any suggestions

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Don't know if it would be possible for all spark plugs to look the same, generally not all spark plugs will darken, foul same, some more, some less depending on installed position. Does Yam states a spark plug install procedure, with EFI motors there's a saying, true, false fact ? that states that the non bent part of the electrode must fully face the injector's fuel squirt for a better combustion on that particular chamber ?

Being an electronic motor will probably need to connect it to a computer to check several parameters if still under factory tolerances...

Happy Boating

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe try running motor with 4 new spark plugs just to eliminate bad plugs as the problem….a cracked center electrode insulator can be hard to see/detect….

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Maybe try running motor with 4 new spark plugs just to eliminate bad plugs as the problem….a cracked center electrode insulator can be hard to see/detect….
Totally agree.
For the low price to pay for new plugs it's definitely a good idea to eliminate them from the equation.

Red_Fisher

Cadet
Totally agree.
For the low price to pay for new plugs it's definitely a good idea to eliminate them from the equation.
Agreed, I had to order new plugs and they should arrive today. I will also will again be looking with greater detail at the fuel line. Although my primer bulb stays firm and full, I've read numerous stories online about blockages. I hope to try a test on the water tomorrow with new plugs and after I check the fuel line again.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Those plugs are probably not your problem, there not bad looking. Have a Yamaha tech run diagnostics on the engine so your not just shooting in the dark

FishMan001

Cadet
As the middle two are different than the top and bottom ones, it's very unlikely to be anything that's common to the engine (fuel line, tank, computer, timing, etc.) but rather, individual to them.
Look at plug caps & leads, coil packs, etc. and follow it back, checking, until it becomes common. You can check the spark with an adjustable spark tester as an indication to see how far each leads spark jumps. Although this is a rough and ready check, if one or two cylinders are vastly different, it can help point you in the right direction.
Same with the fuel - check wiring, connections, etc. on each injector and trace back.
Also, having different compressions on each cylinder will cause each plug to look slightly different, so check them. It's worth doing them twice - once with all the plugs out, and again with all the plugs in, apart from the one you are checking obviously. If they are different between checks, that can give an indication of leaking head gasket.
More serious problems like worn camshafts, pitted valve seats, etc. would be way down my list, unless it's done an inordinate amount of hours and never serviced.

Red_Fisher

Cadet
Since my last test on the water, I did the following:
1) changed spark plugs (even though they looked ok)
2) cleaned the VST filter (even though it looked clean)
3) had fuel injectors professionally test, cleaned and tested again (was told they were clean)
4) unhooked the main battery for a minute, then reattached

= took the boat out today and it ran smooth and fast! Problem fixed!

However, I don't know what the problem was....can plugs look ok and still be bad? With the engine running with muffs on, I systematically removed the plugs one at a time and heard a difference. Also, can VST filters look ok yet be clogged? Or was the fix due to something as easy (and cheap) as disconnecting the battery and letting the computer reset?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Since my last test on the water, I did the following:
1) changed spark plugs (even though they looked ok)
2) cleaned the VST filter (even though it looked clean)
3) had fuel injectors professionally test, cleaned and tested again (was told they were clean)
4) unhooked the main battery for a minute, then reattached

= took the boat out today and it ran smooth and fast! Problem fixed!

However, I don't know what the problem was....can plugs look ok and still be bad? With the engine running with muffs on, I systematically removed the plugs one at a time and heard a difference. Also, can VST filters look ok yet be clogged? Or was the fix due to something as easy (and cheap) as disconnecting the battery and letting the computer reset?
I see no way you can pull the plugs on a running motor

I would guess cleaning the injectors or replacing the plugs is what helped

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
when you pull/unscrew a plug on a running motor the compression will blow the plug out and probably take some threads out of the head with it as it shoots somewhere never to be seen again.

also the coils are not on the plugs,
plug wires maybe what you are trying to talk about

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would guess that disconnecting the batt. reset the computer