bad harness 10 pin connector

sport2246

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
10
while troubleshooting my starting problem I found that the 10 pin (round) connector gets loose (between Male and Female part of the plug assembly) and cuts the supply of power to coil and or starter. I can move it while connected and it will work and then when I move it again it looses connection. My question is can I get just the connector or I have to buy both harnesses? (motor and boat). This is on mercruiser 4.3 chevy, 1991 thunderbolt IV, Starcraft 195. Also, would a NO-OX-ID grease help the connection.

Sport2246
 

Bondo

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
71,535
Re: bad harness 10 pin connector

while troubleshooting my starting problem I found that the 10 pin (round) connector gets loose (between Male and Female part of the plug assembly)

Ayuh,... Is the hose clamp on it,..??

Have you tried to spread the split-pins,..??

Fixin' what's there should be less tramatic to the harness, than splicing in a new connector...
That's 20 splices, in a wet environment...
 

sport2246

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
10
Re: bad harness 10 pin connector

thanks guys for the tips.

Bond-O actually there was a hose clamp on it. I bought this boat used so I thought that it was a band aid by previous owner but if it works I will try it.
 

Bondo

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
71,535
Re: bad harness 10 pin connector

Bond-O actually there was a hose clamp on it. I bought this boat used so I thought that it was a band aid by previous owner but if it works I will try it.

Ayuh,... It's Supposed to be there.... ;)
 

sport2246

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
10
Re: bad harness 10 pin connector

Thanks Bond-O

This should do it. I just find it kind of crude that mercuiser made it as a solution.
Nevertheless if it works that is fine with me.

Sport2246
 
Top