Back up motor?

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 16x54 Jon boat I take on the river often. My 30 lb thrust trolley motor won’t push upstream. What is the smallest motor y’all think I can put on my boat as a back up and still push upstream? Thanks in advance! Rob

airshot

Rear Admiral
Probably a 3 hp would get you going but a 5 hp would be better if your just trying to move along against the current. I have a 2.2 hp Merc as a kicker motor on my 16' SC and it moves it at 5 + mph. No current.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A 3.5 HP Mercury 4-stroke will push my 15' Boston Whaler (1700 # as loaded) at 6.5 MPH.

A 5.0 HP Mercury 4-stroke will push my 19' SeaRay (3600 #) at 6.0 mph.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I have a little Johnson 4 hp weedless motor I just bought that hasn't seen water yet . I also have a 6 hp long shaft motor that I've had on the back on my boat once or twice 6 pushes pretty good. I like the little weight of the 4. I wasn’t sure if a 2 hp would push upstream or not

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have a little Johnson 4 hp weedless motor I just bought that hasn't seen water yet . I also have a 6 hp long shaft motor that I've had on the back on my boat once or twice 6 pushes pretty good. I like the little weight of the 4. I wasn’t sure if a 2 hp would push upstream or not
The weedless is intended for just that, and it works very well in that regard. But, as far as pushing the boat at speed, it will not equal a 4 hp non-weedless.

If your tansom is 15", the long shaft 6 HP will also not provide a full 6 HP power.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
The weedless is intended for just that, and it works very well in that regard. But, as far as pushing the boat at speed, it will not equal a 4 hp non-weedless.

If your tansom is 15", the long shaft 6 HP will also not provide a full 6 HP power.
My boat has a long transom 20”. I think I’ll take them both out this spring and see which meets my needs the best.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for a heads up on the weedless sounds like it will be even slower than the traditional 4 hp. I might need to look for a 6 short If I decide to keep the short shaft motor to get back upstream

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for a heads up on the weedless sounds like it will be even slower than the traditional 4 hp. I might need to look for a 6 short If I decide to keep the short shaft motor to get back upstream
I said that the weedless lower would have less thrust, but I don't think the loss will be as much as using a 4 HP.

If you have a long shaft transom, I think a 6 short would not be the way to go either.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I said that the weedless lower would have less thrust, but I don't think the loss will be as much as using a 4 HP.

If you have a long shaft transom, I think a 6 short would not be the way to go either.
The 6 hp long shaft that I already have sounds like it will be the idea back up motor to put in my boat then. Enough speed to get home and the right length for my transom.

I’ll see how the weedless does for fun, but I’ll keep the 6 as my spare motor

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a very nice 1979 6 HP motor Long shaft this is going to be my kicker motor for the river this year!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
There's an idiot on every waterway, and they deserve whatever happens to them. The bad part of the video, though, is that he put the poor dog in harm's way.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Many times being weedless is just the type of prop used. Often a non weedless prop can be substituted to gain a little extra thrust if needed. Unless you have a really strong current, your 4 should push you along as long as your not expecting to ski..

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I sold the weedless and bought the 6 hp long as my back up motor for the river. Nicer shape, cdi, long shaft, it will push upstream nicely too.