Back to back boat seat reinforcement?

kenojim

Cadet
I bought an old Glastron tri hull, the inside has been restored with the new back to back seats from deckmate. They have the rectangular plastic base. Roughly 36"x13.5" and 10" high.
The plastic frame design is just ok at best, but even when a 225 lbs person sits in a seat I can see the plastic frame starting to bow.
I'm also not impressed with how the seats attach to the floor.
I'm thinking of building a (treated) wood frame inside the plastic frame.. A rectangular frame with 1"x6" horizontal boards.. And cut several 10" pieces and attach them vertically .. So it would look like a rectangular picket fence just inside the plastic frame. The tops of the 10" cut pieces would rest along the outer plastic underside of the seats and the bottom against the floor.
Has anyone done something similar? Or have a better idea?
I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210818_204425.jpg
    20210818_204425.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That should work. You will end up screwing thru the plastic into the wood. Use pressure treated wood and ss screws to assemble the frame.

A suggestion: I assume the plastic frame is 10" high. 2 pieces of pressure treated 1X6 on top of one another and ripped to the correct width and secured with cleats is easier and neater.

kenojim

Cadet
That should work. You will end up screwing thru the plastic into the wood. Use pressure treated wood and ss screws to assemble the frame.

A suggestion: I assume the plastic frame is 10" high. 2 pieces of pressure treated 1X6 on top of one another and ripped to the correct width and secured with cleats is easier and neater.
Thanks for the input!
.. Yes I have ss screws and 2" corner braces I'll have to look at it and decide which way to do it. The added hassle with making it solid, floor to bottom of seat all the way around with the cleats is I'd need to notch out for the 4 plastic cross pieces.. 2 on top 2 on bottom, which isn't a big deal.
And wasn't planning on screwing thru the plastic in to the wood frame.. The wood frame would be not attached to the plastic frame... But this I know doesn't help with the poor mounting to floor issue either... Will have to play that one by ear I think.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would build new seat boxes from scratch.

I did mine out of aluminum
0223201749_resized-jpg.306896

kenojim

Cadet
I would build new seat boxes from scratch.

I did mine out of aluminum
0223201749_resized-jpg.306896
I liked your idea the best.. Had seat bases fabricated out of aluminum.. Had their height shortened by half too, should now put seats close to original height

Attachments

• IMG_3501.jpg
    IMG_3501.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 5

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hmm, all these ideas for seat frames / boxes. I can't see paying upwards of $7-900 for 'toon benches and whatever base I get or build will have to allow access to the battery / gas tank compartment