Baby Sleeping?

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Baby Sleeping?

I have had a few dentists and one doctor tell me that orajel is not the best idea for teething. I guess it hardens the gum where it contacts making the teeth break through slower. Soak a Q-tip in whiskey then freeze it. Let Jr. chew on this for teething. He won't swallow enough to get into his system, and the cold alcohol will numb the gums. Of course Momma would not let me do this with ours, but know a lot of friends that have done this with success. <br />Maybe try another bottle? If the baby is not getting enough through the nipple to satisfy hunger, it could be the wrong type bottle. All 3 of mine did better with different bottles. My oldest sucked so hard and fast she would collapse the nipple into the bottle. We used vent air on her to let air in fast. Middle child could only use the plain cheap bottles. Youngest didn't care much either way.<br />I am proud to say I am my kids dad. Working nights I am only up with them at night on nights off, and after I get home from work. Those are nights I will always keep close to my heart. I spend all day every day with my babies. I don't go to work until they are all in bed, if I do, I come home and tuck them all in. Would not give this up for anything.<br />Crying it out will only work if both do it. It only takes one night of picking baby up to go back to starting over. All 3 of ours we finally ahd to make them cry. They would be up every 2 to 4 hours feeding just out of habit. Momma would sit and cry thinking she was being mean, I would sit and hug momma. About 3 nights and all was well. This isn't good with every baby, but worked for mine only after 6 months.<br />Just remember every night, baby will grow out of this and you will miss it.

mattttt25

Commander

grandx- i hope you read this and truly consider it. my wife and i had the same issue with our little one (our first, she's two now). was about 5 months old and still wouldn't sleep through the night. we tried really feeding her heavy, milk, cereal, etc. nothing really worked.<br /><br />one day i was reading one of those parenting books and i found what i was looking for. basically, a child will wake up several times a night and it's normal. we all do, just may not notice it. the key is learning how to fall asleep on your own. it's a life skill that all children need to learn, and you need to help them.<br /><br />your child is not hungry, trust me. by the time they reach 4 months, they consume plenty during the day to get them through the night. your child is simply waking up and doesn't know how to fall back asleep without your help. your comfort and feeding simply help it along.<br /><br />so what do you do? this is the hard part. as the book suggested, we let our daughter cry. and cry. for 4 nights, she cried for atleast 30 minutes, and sometimes close to an hour. it sucked, trust me. it was so hard not to "rescue" her. but, exactly as the book said, by the 5th night, she woke up once, cried for about a minute, and was back to sleep. from the 6th night and on, we never heard her when she woke up, hence, she was sleeping through the night.<br /><br />i know parenting is a very personal issue, but i think i am 100% right here. feel free to review this with your doctor first, and i'm sure he'll back me up on this. too many people rush to a feeding problem, when they just need to teach their children a tough life skill.<br /><br />good luck, and please let us know how it turns out.<br /><br />edit: once last thing. while my recommendation is based on fact, it may not be the "right" thing for all parents. 4 months may not be the "right" time for you. maybe 5 months, maybe 6 months. but if you still have this problem at 6 months, i really think you should follow my advice. best of luck, and enjoy every minute of it (i miss my 6 month old).

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

If you cry it out with baby, you both have to be committed. If you do feel the need to go in to baby, just a light touch and maybe a few words. Don't pick baby up or feed baby. <br /><br />If I remember right there are articles printed on the net about crying it out by behavior and baby experts as well as doctors.<br /><br />My wife spends her time looking at a forum for parents at inciid.com or inciid.org, something like that. There are forums broken down into ages of children, pregnancy, all kinds.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Is the baby getting enough milk-formula at feeding time???<br />My daughters 1st born was a little cranky, till we figured she wasn't getting enough to drink!!! After that she slept like a kitty!!! ;) <br />Was one of the lucky ones, when our children were born, slept through the nite!!! ;) :cool:

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

grandx,<br /><br /> I posted to offer my assistance, however upon looking back on the two younger children of mine, I found that the following experience probably wouldn't help.<br /><br /> I usually put the baby, 8 months old, down around 9 PM. Having just fed and changed her. I tell her good night, turn the lights out and leave the room. When I get up in the morning I gently close her door and later, sometimes 10 AM, usually around 9 I will hear her playing and get her up with a bottle. As her mother has already gone to work, I will change her and then we spend the day doing whatever we want. It is a really good schedule, and one that I wouldn't trade for anything.<br /><br />deputydawg,<br /><br />I couldn't agree with you more. The time I get to spend with my baby girl is priceless. My son is 9 years old and involved with school, friends, video games. Until time to go fishing and then it is usually him and me deep sea fishing in the gulf in a 26' dusky. If I hook up the boat to the truck he seems to know what I am doing even if he is inside playing games.<br /> <br /> The only arguments we get into is whether to take the small boat and go to some of the private ponds we have access to for some bass fishing or go deep sea fishing.. :D :D

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everyone, I believe in the "letting them cry theory" when you know they've eaten enough, and have a dry diaper, don't need to burp, and have no sickness. Developing sleep habits, I believe is what we are working on. Last night we had 6oz formula mixed with cereal at about 8:30, woke up again at 1:00 am and had another 4 oz of the same, slept till 5:00 am which is Momma's wake up time and ate again... This is acceptable, 4 hour + stretches I can deal with. You all have a nice weekend, and thanks again.