Baby Sleeping?

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class
I could use a bit of help from you more experienced parents. I've a 4 month old who doesn't have good sleep habits, couple of hours then up for a sip of milk (screams to the top of his lungs till he gets it), some nights like clock work every 2 hours. I'm in need of a recipe for rest, wife and I are both worn out. Might be teething, suggestions on this subject would be appreciated as well. Please HELP!

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Baby Sleeping?

Add a bit of cereal to the bottle. If the ped. hasn't got the baby on some foods, just do it. My grandson is 4 months, and they started the cereal w/ the formula about 3 weeks ago. It certainly agreed with him, sleeps 4-6 straight now. Good luck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Every two hours?<br /><br />I thought that was normal. All of mine did it until they were over 6 mo.

spratt

Lieutenant

My boys were both big (over 10 #'s at birth) and at about that time, milk just didn't satisfy them...we also did the cereal in the bottles and what a fix!!! Though it could be other things in your case...

gaugeguy

Captain

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. First son slept through the night from the day we brought him home. Youngest son took only a couple weeks to sleep through.

KaGee

Admiral

Yep get the critter on some food. Cereal in the formula is a good start. Have you ever tasted the formula? :eek: <br /><br />The Ped's will tell you that it is bad for the kid... that's because THEY do not have to get up at all hours of the night with them. Seems that at four months, things should start to settle a little. I'd get 'em some food... worked for my two. They are both in their mid-twenties and healthy.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Agree with those who recommend cereal in the milk. I remember mixing in some rice cereal in expressed human (don't know if I can type the "b" word) milk and my three kids slept much better once we began starting doing that.<br /><br />My wife just "b" fed during the day and would express a bottle before bed and I, the loving and devoted dad, would wake up my child around 11pm before I went to bed and feed him/her. They would sleep until 5am or so. Eventually they got into a sleep pattern and didn't require the cereal in the milk late at night once they started on foods.<br /><br />We also stimulated our children when infants late at night to keep them awake so they would be good and tired when they went to sleep.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

we are all agreed then Gerber Rice cereal it is, right next to the formua in the store. We never mixed t in the bottle though we just started feeding it to them at niight about that age. I always added some formula t the cereal though so it tasted like formula.

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks All, Already on the cereal right before bed (against PED's reccomendation by the way). Hasn't made much difference on it's own. May try another cereal feeding upon first wake up and see how that goes. Saw the PED this morning for a scheduled visit and received another 4 shots, WOW, that kid has been poked more times in his first 4 months than I've been poked my entire life. I'm expecting a rough one tonight with all the sore muscles.

spratt

Lieutenant

My first son was really colicky...he was just throwing up all the time at the WRONG time...like at the Sizzler when they were just delivering the steaks to the table...I was so upset then that I told them to just box it all up and took it home...unfortunately, it was a while before we learned he had a lactose intolerance...got him on some Soy formula and it was like night to day difference!!! But he still needed that extra yummy in the tummy at night to sleep all night...

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

How long has this been going on? Does he act cramped or in pain? All of my 3 had dairy protein intolerance. NO sleep until we changed to soy formula with baby #1. Baby #2 was worse, so had to go with different formula. Baby #3 was also alergic to soy protein. Have to buy special prescription formula for $45 a can.<br /><br />Try going to Wal mart and getting what is called infant gas relief drops. 2 or 3 drops might help.<br /><br />If this is not the problem, try cereal in formula. Make sure that you don't make it so thick baby can't suck it through bottle, sister in law did this and almost starved baby. But she is kind of stupid anyway. You may have to cut the hole a bit bigger in the nipple. Only mix small amounts.<br /><br />Another thing that helped us. Our kids did this later on out of habit. We started one night making baby wait 5 minutes before we went to pick them up. Then 10, and so on. Crying it out is usually reserved for 6 months and older, but if the baby is only sipping a few swallows, it might not be hunger at all. may just be habit. Force a schedule of when to give the bottle. Start at night by rocking or holding baby for a few minutes, then back to bed with no bottle. Schedule feedings at like 6 ounces every 4 hours or whatever works. Other times resist the bottle. It will feel cruel, but will help in the end. Habit feeding is hard to break.<br /><br />My babies also would wake every few hours through the night because they were over tired. Putting them to bed earlier they actually slept longer at a shot.<br /><br />Also, I don't believe in colic. Doctor told us for months it was colic until we started soy. Instant change! If breast feeding, it may be something momma ate. <br /><br />There are as many ideas as there are parents. Good luck to you, and remember, this will pass!

ndemge

Commander

Our doughter, 7 weeks today, since she was a week old has rice cereal in her bottle. She had a horrible breathing problem, sounded like she was gagging/choking every time she ate. Doc said add a scoop of Rice cereal to the bottel to thicken it up.<br /><br />At night we'll make a good and thick one, she'll sleep 5 hours sometimes :) <br /><br />Hope you find what the lil one wants and get yourself some sleep

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wife and I had similar problems. Every couple of hours she'd wake up and crying for a bottle. <br />So we would feed her and during the feeding she would start falling asleep. Took a while for us to figue out that 20min feedings were too long and that she was not getting enough formula into her tummy quick enough before she started getting tired again. <br />Finally decided to open the hole in the nipple a little larger (hot needle then boil for 20min) and added a couple more holes (experiment with this) then the feedings were down to 5 min and she started sleeping for longer durations. Also re-enlarged the holes when we introuduced rice into the formula. <br />Side note; both kids had problems with Infamil and Similac so we went with Carnation.<br /><br />What a difference when you get them dialed in.

LadyFish

Admiral

I was gonna hop right in here and offer some great motherly advice but all you boys beat me to it. :p <br /><br />I am VERY impressed that you guys know/care so much about all this. Times really have changed. :)

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the responses, we're on the rice, "b" feeding and formula cause mom just don't make enough, we do the "gas drops", even tried the "baby oral jell" for teething, have had my best success when "I" let the baby cry it out for a while, but I have to do this when Momma ain't around, she can't take it - and gives me the evil eye when she suspects I'm up to it. Guess I'm looking for the miracle suggestion I've not already tried... Keep em coming, as I'm down to the inlaws coming over for the weekend so we can get a couple nights sleep, and I'm not so sure that's a win win either...

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Lady fish- Those drops are called milicon. Todays dads are more active in our childrens lives. I spent most nights up with my first born. Shes a daddies girl, the youngest I didn't stay up with as much and she could care less about me.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was gonna suggest a little Wild Turkey mixed with formula. :D

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had about a pint of rum Tuesday night, while feeding Jacob his formula... didn't help him, but I sure slept good. Momma didn't like that either.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the teething causing a fever? This, in turn will cause diahrreah. Is he baby doing wierd things with it's mouth, chewing on tounge, biting down looking like an old man eating(sorry old-timers). This will make a baby cry also. But then again they may just be hungry. Are you feeding enough volume of food when feeding? There are so many things it could be. Good luck.<br />By the way, in olden times, when a baby was lactose intolerant, what did they do for it?