Automotive clearcoat over spar urethane?

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
:confused: Working on a 1959 StarCraft with oak gunwales. I have stained and applied spar urethane the gunwales before installation. Also painted the boat with Dupont Nason before application of gunwales. The boat is white with turquoise accents similar to its original colors. The guy at O'Rielly's where I got the paint sold me single stage WHITE paint however, after painting the turquoise, I see it calls for clearcoat. I assumed he used the same base- Wrong. (40+miles to the O'Rielly's from here). I mussed the white on the bow with some overspray when spraying the turquoise:facepalm:100_4335.jpg.

My question is- Do I need to mask off the oak w/ spar finish before I repaint the bow and clearcoat with Nason? Or would the clearcoat really add to the protection of the wood? Did a quick search and didn't find an answer so would appreciate any info if someone has ever done this.
Thanks,
Dale

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Automotive clearcoat over spar urethane?

IMHO you don't HAVE to clearcoat the paint. It will make it more difficult to do touch ups in the future. If you choose to do so I would tape off the wood and not clear coat over the varnish. There's a good chance the clear coat will be a "Hotter" mix and there could be a reaction that could possibly cause "wrinkling". JMHO.

zool

Captain

So what you are saying is they sold you Ful-Thane SS in white, but sold you Ful-Base for the turquoise?...if so, you should clear the ful-base, because basecoats are very thin, and may not hold up to boat abuse....if they are both ful-thane, then clear is optional. And like wood said, may be risky to clear over the spar....tape it off and maintain it in the future with just the spar...

ssdale

IMHO you don't HAVE to clearcoat the paint. It will make it more difficult to do touch ups in the future. If you choose to do so I would tape off the wood and not clear coat over the varnish. There's a good chance the clear coat will be a "Hotter" mix and there could be a reaction that could possibly cause "wrinkling". JMHO.

Thanks Wood. Found a couple other threads that echo your thoughts. I will tape off as you suggest.

ssdale

So what you are saying is they sold you Ful-Thane SS in white, but sold you Ful-Base for the turquoise?...if so, you should clear the ful-base, because basecoats are very thin, and may not hold up to boat abuse....if they are both ful-thane, then clear is optional. And like wood said, may be risky to clear over the spar....tape it off and maintain it in the future with just the spar...

I wanted single stage Ful-Thane for both colors. Maybe he had a reason or just grabbed the wrong can. As with most projects, I bought the paint months before I needed it and just took for granted it was right. Since it is not a good idea to clear the Spar, I might just sand down the whole bow and get a pint of Turquoise in single stage and forget the clear coat.

Problem slolved,
Dale

zool

Captain

Yea, I do the same thing, I try to spread the cost over time so I dont get hit with big bills at one time lol...but sometimes end up with a square peg and round hole!
Your boat looks very classic with the color/wood combo!..nice