Auto Repair - dishonest shop

Kloctower

Seaman
I would definitely call them or go in there and tell them you know what they're doing. In my experience when they do that kind of work to people's cars that don't need it they often pretend to do the work and pocket the money outside of the shop. So instead of bringing anything up they just tell the boss so that car was fine or that car came in for an inspection and they charge you off the books print you off a receipt and pocket the cash with no work done. I once had a firestone dealership in Indiana loosen my tie rod bolt on a brand new car I had in for inspection on a coupon for free and they told me that my wheel bearings tie rods and sway bars were all bad and possibly my control arms as well and the whole front and would need to be replaced at a cost of $900 and I should have it done immediately. They thought I was some dumb College punk. So I get in my car and leave and sure enough there is a loud noise that was not there before when I get home I inspected the car and find a tie rod nut with dust and dirt missing from it and you can clearly see a wrench had been put on it recently whereas the other side was dirty and dusty with no wrench marks. I swiftly drove back to the Firestone place and told them and showed them what had happened they denied everything called me a liar and the man that had told me I needed all the work would not come out of the back room they said he was gone at lunch . I walked out to the garage with the man climbed under the car and showed him. No one would believe me so I tighten the bolt Myself by hand and drove home and then posted my experience is all over the internet on every site I could find

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Most franchised places are potential rip offs. Simple as that. Local oil change franchise wiped my tranny fluid dipstick with a pre dirtied piece of white paper. Then called me to see it and recommended a flush then full fluid and filter change. They didn't see me watching them as I left the waiting room and walked around the back to the exit bay doors with the little window in them. Had just gone for an oil change as my local place was away on vacation. I acted amazed and was told I was pretty lucky I had made it there. I then asked them to show me again with a fresh piece of clean white paper. Strangely enough it showed completely clean !!!! Wife got ripped off for an air filter some years back when a locally owned business turned franchise on us without us noticing. You live and learn :)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
I would definitely call them or go in there and tell them you know what they're doing. In my experience when they do that kind of work to people's cars that don't need it they often pretend to do the work and pocket the money outside of the shop. So instead of bringing anything up they just tell the boss so that car was fine or that car came in for an inspection and they charge you off the books print you off a receipt and pocket the cash with no work done. I once had a firestone dealership in Indiana loosen my tie rod bolt on a brand new car I had in for inspection on a coupon for free and they told me that my wheel bearings tie rods and sway bars were all bad and possibly my control arms as well and the whole front and would need to be replaced at a cost of $900 and I should have it done immediately. They thought I was some dumb College punk. So I get in my car and leave and sure enough there is a loud noise that was not there before when I get home I inspected the car and find a tie rod nut with dust and dirt missing from it and you can clearly see a wrench had been put on it recently whereas the other side was dirty and dusty with no wrench marks. I swiftly drove back to the Firestone place and told them and showed them what had happened they denied everything called me a liar and the man that had told me I needed all the work would not come out of the back room they said he was gone at lunch . I walked out to the garage with the man climbed under the car and showed him. No one would believe me so I tighten the bolt Myself by hand and drove home and then posted my experience is all over the internet on every site I could find

Brand new car to a Firestone franchise ???????
Don't see the logic of taking it there on a coupon ???? Could void the manufacturers warranty maybe ???/
Just my thoughts.

64osby

Admiral
An old friend told me multiple stories of joy rides that ended bad for the car. The body shop he worked at would let the guys take the fast cars out to have some fun. He told me of two Lexus rides that were totaled. They rebuilt them in 3 or 4 extra days and never told the owners. He said they would tell the owners they were waiting on parts.

He taught me to always write my mileage down when taking a car in. Just in case you might need some proof.

82rude

Rear Admiral
No ,your warranty cannot be voided by going to a shop other than the mfg. Thats illegal.