Auto painters.... I need help painting metal kitchen cabinets

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am wanting to repaint my metal kitchen cabinets. I already stripped the paint and sanded them smooth.
I bought some cheap acrylic enamel automotive paint off ebay and already had some old Napa acrylic red oxide surface primer 15201.

Since I have never did this before I have some questions on the primer. It says to reduce it with 5 parts lacquer thinner to 4 parts primer. Can I use any type of lacquer thinner like Kleen Strip you can get at Wal Mart?

The auto paint I bought off ebay is a kit so hopefully I won't have any issues with that.
I also bought a cheap HVLP sprayer from harbor Freight.

I'm a complete noob at doing something like this so if someone has any simple tips they can offer I would appreciate it. I have searched the web for answers but the auto body forums are kinda confusing with their technical jargon.
Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Auto painters.... I need help painting metal kitchen cabinets

Proper thinning, air pressure, distance from work, speed...list goes on.

My suggestion is get some big pieces of cardboard to practice on first. Be consistant with the speed, and distance from the work and use 50% overlap.

When I used to paint cars, I used acrylic laquer and bought various type of thiner depending on how hot it was. For primer, its not as critical since if it goes on dry, you can wet sand it smooth.

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have plenty of paint/primer so I was planning on practicing until I got it down.
So you think any lacquer thinner will work? I could ask them at Napa but I didn't want them trying to sell me new primer since the primer I have apparently has been banned here in the great state of CA.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Stop at any parts store that sells paint and pick up a few of those pre-marked mixing cups. You look up the ratio on the cup and it makes it foolproof. I would also pick up a handful of disposable paper filter's. When you are spraying auto paint and want a smooth finish .......you want EVERYTHING filtered before you load it into the paint gun cup.

Yes lacquer's are "old school" since the environmental ban on toxic things....... and it is toxic!!

Tack cloths
a small can of reducer
possibly a small can of hardener (available at tractor supply)

I would wipe down with a dampened cloth with reducer ....allow to dry...... then a tack cloth
Spray the primer....... allow to dry and examine your work to see if you have any runs....... if happy and not too much time has passed (same day) I would shoot the topcoat with hardener added.

The hardener will harden the paint and keep it shiny so it will not oxidize quickly.