Audio Warning system disable with Key on engine off for Radio?

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1996 sea ray 210
previous owner cut out the buzzer for the audio warning system. I found the cut wires under the dash and soldered in new bullet connector leads in the new quicksilver audio warning system kit i got.

audio warning system works perfectly fine now, turn Key on 1st stop, warning sounds and then start engine and alarm goes away.

now if i'm on the water and just want to float, how the heck do people play the radio with key on engine off with out the warning system sounding?

i guess that's why previous owner removed it before.

so do i need to wire up a switch to disable the alarm when i want to play the radio with ignition on and engine off?

how are other people getting around this?

sam am I

Commander
I wouldn't recommend adding a switch to shut off the alarm, I'd just wire the radio to work always unless the main battery switch is off...........Does the key position not have an accessories position? Just off and on and start? Assuming not.......you could always get a ig. switch that does have a acc. position

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
now if i'm on the water and just want to float, how the heck do people play the radio with key on engine off with out the warning system sounding?
Don't wire your accessories to the ignition circuit.

My ignition switch controls nothing but the choke, ignition and the starter motor.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Wire the radio to it's own hot circuit thru a fuse. Don't mess with the alarm wiring.

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i bought the boat second hand so ill have to see why they changed it. Is this how boats from the 90s are from the factory? i know the boat had a factory CD player back in the day just not sure how it was wired. if it was wired the way it is now or if it was wired the way you all are suggesting.

seems weird that Sea Ray would think "yea no one will want to listen to music while anchored with the engine off. lets wire the radio to accessory position so that the alarm sounds when the engine is off "

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Is this how boats from the 90s are from the factory?
I’ve owned boats built in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s.

Two where wired to the key switch because there where no empty positions in the accessories panels.

The third had two empty positions in the accessory panel which I used to power the stereo/CD and fish finder finder.

Ended up running a line back to the battery switch to install a second, 12 position accessory panel to power the chart plotter, vhf, radar, NMEA 2000 network, etc. p

If you don’t have a dedicated accessory panel at the helm, the easiest (and cheapest) place to get power is the ignition.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Someone butchered the wiring! That's horrible!

Feed the radio with it's own dedicated properly fused circuit. Make sure it is powered off when your boat is stored, docked, etc., or the radio memory may drain your battery. Ask me how I know...

Hopefully your boat has a battery switch.
I always turn my battery switch to "off" when not using the boat.
The only thing that is always on is my bilge pump.

Joshto

Seaman
I guess it depends on the type of ignition switch your boat has. My boat has a four-position ignition switch: Battery, Starter, Ignition, and Accessories. If I turn the key to the left, it enables the accessories only; this is where your radio has to be wired to.

When the engine is running, the ignition switch feeds both, the ignition and the accessories terminal. I would suggest installing one of these types of switches. They are inexpensive and most withstand 15-25 Amps (accessories terminal); enough to power a radio and other gadgets such as a depth/fishfinder.

That way you won't forget to turn off your radio (Key won't come out in any position except fully OFF) nor you'll leave the ignition on with the engine off (supposing the warning alarm is disabled).

The Audio Warning, on the other hand, must be wired to the Purple cable (ignition terminal).