Atwood surge coupler welded on Prestige trailer

Rinker915

Recruit
With Atwood now out of business and can’t find parts for the master cylinder or shock what in the world are ya all doing to fix the coupler when it’s welded on a prestige trailer?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would fire up the die grinder with a cut-off wheel and weld a different actuator

Rinker915

Recruit
I may have to do that, I was hoping to find a new master cylinder or a rebuild kit for it but not having much luck. I would think there are thousands of trailers out there with the same issue.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I converted to all electric brakes.
My surge brake system needed constant repairs and rust in the master cylinder was the final straw. Plus I hated the slapping noise every time I stopped or accelerated.
After the conversion, I ran a bolt through the actuator to stop it from sliding.
The electric brakes work great and with my factory brake controller, it's integrated into my truck's braking system.

hgxsilver

Seaman Apprentice
I converted to all electric brakes.
My surge brake system needed constant repairs and rust in the master cylinder was the final straw. Plus I hated the slapping noise every time I stopped or accelerated.
After the conversion, I ran a bolt through the actuator to stop it from sliding.
The electric brakes work great and with my factory brake controller, it's integrated into my truck's braking system.
I am just in the process of converting. Took a little while to drill the hole through the entire surge slider. One 1/2 inch bolt should cover the weight of my 4000lb Thompson 240 with 36000lbs of shear strength at each shear location. This is based on the specs of a standard steel bolt shear strength being 60% of max tensile strength of 70 x 10^3 psi.
Fleet Brake sells electric backing plates for $50 each. Looks like under $150 total conversion adding the connectors and other materials.
Hopefully they hold up to corrosion as I am a regular salt water boater out in St. Margaret's Bay.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I am just in the process of converting. Took a little while to drill the hole through the entire surge slider. One 1/2 inch bolt should cover the weight of my 4000lb Thompson 240 with 36000lbs of shear strength at each shear location. This is based on the specs of a standard steel bolt shear strength being 60% of max tensile strength of 70 x 10^3 psi.
Suggest you rethink your math.

Don’t see where you converted the load to pounds per square inch. Don’t see where you accounted for acceleration and deceleration induced loads

I buy 5/8”, grade 8 bolts by the pound because I shear them on a regular basis mowing the back field with a bush hog

I would highly recommend 3, 1/2” , grade 8 bolts ;)

hgxsilver

Seaman Apprentice
Suggest you rethink your math.

Don’t see where you converted the load to pounds per square inch. Don’t see where you accounted for acceleration and deceleration induced loads

I buy 5/8”, grade 8 bolts by the pound because I shear them on a regular basis mowing the back field with a bush hog

I would highly recommend 3, 1/2” , grade 8 bolts ;)
Well, it was exaggerated definitely. So each shear location, would take 7000+-. Which is 28000lbs, which gives fairly large safety factor, especially since the brakes will reduce the load "instantaneously" as the load would shift.

hgxsilver

Seaman Apprentice
Well, it was exaggerated definitely. So each shear location, would take 7000+-. Which is 28000lbs, which gives fairly large safety factor, especially since the brakes will reduce the load "instantaneously" as the load would shift.
Going heavy is an easy way to increase the safety factor too. :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You don’t have a clue. This is how people get hurt…

Last edited:

hgxsilver

Seaman Apprentice
Possibly just not on the same page. No need to go facebook on me.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Don’t mean to be rude but where are your cross section calculations?

This is a double shear situation. What wall thickness are you dealing with?

Safety factor when life and limb is involved in a min. 3X

Alumarine

Captain
Fleet Brake sells electric backing plates for $50 each. Looks like under $150 total conversion adding the connectors and other materials.
Hopefully they hold up to corrosion as I am a regular salt water boater out in St. Margaret's Bay.
(edited) never mind, thought you were the OP

Last edited: