Attemping to remove boat cap

79Glastron

Petty Officer 1st Class
boat trim.jpgboattrim2.jpgboattrim3.jpgIt was a nice rainy day and I thought it would be a good day to removed the cap off the boat. Well, I didn't get too far, I removed the rub rail and thought I would find screws or rivets under it, but none to be found. How do you remove this trim? It looks like the cap is secures with ss staples. You just can't pry the trim off because there is staples between the trim and the end of the cap flange. I removed the front with a 2x4 and hammer, but thought there must be a better way....Thanks!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Attemping to remove boat cap

Nope no screws or rivets on that one, it's bonded together, I've done one of those and won't do it again. You'll have to split the cap from the hull, using a wedge, sawzall, or whatever else you can come up with to get in the joint. Start at the front and as it seperates slide the wedges in to keep room for whatever tool you're using. (sawzall is my tool of choice here).

Good luck....it's a pain in the a**, but doable.

79Glastron

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, it appears the cap is coming up, but the trim piece is being difficult to remove, any advice on that? Its a pretty soild piece of aluminum, its pinching the cap and the hull together.
Thanks!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Pry it off....it's driven (pressed) on. It a two function piece.rub rail and cap clamp.

79Glastron

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can try prying it again, but they put stainless steel staples in the flange holding the cap and hull together. The trim gets stuck on the staples and tries to rip them out. What a pain.....

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I can try prying it again, but they put stainless steel staples in the flange holding the cap and hull together. The trim gets stuck on the staples and tries to rip them out. What a pain.....

Yep....see post #2 ;). Most likely you'll not salvage the rub rail. There is a v shape tool made to do what you're doing, but the only one I've seen was homemade, try a heavy screwdriver to bend the rub rail when you come to the staples.. The one I done didn't have the staples.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

If you can't salvage the rub rail, just use an angle grinder and cut it down the middle. You won't have to go all the way through but as you cut into it it should start to give or at least be easier to pry.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If you can't salvage the rub rail, just use an angle grinder and cut it down the middle. You won't have to go all the way through but as you cut into it it should start to give or at least be easier to pry.

NO..please dont start cutting the alum.. ( btw you do know that cutting alum with a standard wheel will create a Lot of heat and the disk can fail ).

Just work it off m8..I know it might take some time to remove this thing but well worth your time to try by any means to salvage that RR. It would probably take me 4-8 hours ( depending on once you get it working off ).

Too bad that last guy from the post before ( exact same RR ) did not reply to how he did it..or if he did at all.

YD.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

NO..please dont start cutting the alum.. ( btw you do know that cutting alum with a standard wheel will create a Lot of heat and the disk can fail ).

Just work it off m8..I know it might take some time to remove this thing but well worth your time to try by any means to salvage that RR. It would probably take me 4-8 hours ( depending on once you get it working off ).

Too bad that last guy from the post before ( exact same RR ) did not reply to how he did it..or if he did at all.

YD.

I stand corrected.