Need Correct S/N and Model No.?

wmbreck

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a Johnson 28SPL from the late 80's to mid 90's I believe. Trying order a prop. but the numbers I got are on a plate on the unit that attaches the motor to the transome. Neither come up as a valid numbers anywhere online
and 2 different people read them off. I tansposed them many ways and nothing. We even ordered a fuel pump based on these no's and the wrong one came in. I ended up fixing it by retreading the plastic center hole with and oversized bolt. Fully air tight now.

But could actual SN and Mod. be inside the motor lid and this other plate no. be something else altogether? Boat is 6 hours away and I can't order anything until I nail this down and tell someone there where to look for me.

Thanks?

wmbreck

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Need Correct S/N and Model No.?

Here is what I was given supposedly using a magnifying glass?

SN G02629637

mod J26E5LEIB

I tried 2nd no. on s/n as a zero and an 'o'
tried the 5 in mod. no as 's' ??

Happy_Jack

Seaman Apprentice

Obviously without the ability to look at the tag (or welsh plug on the powerhead) nobody here can tell you what it actually is.

Here is a guess based on the numbers you presented, and the fact that you said it was a 28SPL 28hp.

Not: J26E5LE1B

MIGHT be: J28ESLEIB

(This would be a 1991 Evinrude 28hp, with electric start, long shaft.)

Here is a link to the BRP website for the engine number I guessed at:
http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=020409b6b08344204b3e0866c2b14f6d&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

wmbreck

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks tons. Now I have something to work with. I heard the former owner put a fishing prop on it? It's a heavy boat for a 28 and can't get on plane with 2 aboard. I'm putting a hydrofoil on when I get there and looking for a prop with a 'lower' pitch from what I've been told on the forum.

Thanks again!

wmbreck

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cadet,
FYI here are some shots.

http://johnsonlarson.homestead.com/index.html

The next to the last photo shows the plate we got it from. You are right it is a long shaft electric start so perhaps 1991 is right on the money. and you can see that it looks to be in nice condition inside.

Thanks again!

outlaw241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im not sure it is a 91 model, i would think a 91 would have exhaust through the prop

wmbreck

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When I looked for Johnson props on this site, they had options for 1995 and 1996 for 28SPL. Could it be that new?

wmbreck

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gotta run now but will check later.

Thanks again!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

im not sure it is a 91 model, i would think a 91 would have exhaust through the prop

Wrong. A 1991 28 special does not have prop hub exhaust. Reason: It is a "special". Translated: Low cost motor. Translated: Old design. But still a good design. Much of it dates way back to 1955. Let's change "Low Cost" to "Good Value"

EDIT: Too bad they can't do that with cars. I'd love to buy a brand new 1955 Chevy.

wmbreck

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Then should I be looking older? early 80's ?

wmbreck

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Accordring to the ebay site above, it suggests this - unless I messed up.

J28ESLEIB

J - Johnson
28 - hp
ES - electric start
L- long shaft - 20"
E I - 91 ....Year built
B - Model variation = Belgium