Attaching T-Top Tower to floor

TECFlorfida

Cadet
I'm attaching a marine tower / T-Top to my 1998 Key Largo 166. What are the best fasteners to use since I cant get behind / under the floor to install a support plate?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
boats from the factory with T-tops, upper helms, etc have aluminum plates glassed in under the deck for the T-tops to anchor to.

I would suggest you add a deck hatch to get a backing plate in the area you want to mount.

toggle bolts may work for a while, however if they rip out, they will pull large chunks of your deck with them.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Ant time you add anything to the deck, you have to have backing plates.

TECFlorfida

Cadet
boats from the factory with T-tops, upper helms, etc have aluminum plates glassed in under the deck for the T-tops to anchor to.

I would suggest you add a deck hatch to get a backing plate in the area you want to mount.

toggle bolts may work for a while, however if they rip out, they will pull large chunks of your deck with them.
Thanks for the info, It is appreciated

zool

Captain
I just installed a Dolphin Pro T-Top on my CC. The Dolphin instructions has two methods of installation, and gave hardware for both. One was thru bolted with backing plates. The other was lag bolted with 5200 and standoffs from the console. I installed with lag bolts/5200/standoffs and its rock solid. The standoff are thru bolted into the console from holes in the t-top frame.

When I search the internet for reviews using the lag method, I didnt find any complaints of delamination.

note: the standoffs have backing washers inside the console, which were easy to access.