artist wanted

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
you don't have to be one, just looking some advice. I've read threads until I'm blind :eek: and did the appropriate thing by naming my boat before it was launched - maybe at conception? The problem is I cannot letter for beans! Thought about taking the dark lenses out of my welding hood, cos I can stick weld with the best of 'em. But I can't paint period! My boat paint came out way better than I thought it would...

Would appreciate some tips for painting the name... besides hiring someone :lol:
Thanks in advance

jbcurt00

Staff member
Go get a vinyl stencil, pick a font, paint it and pull the stencil.

Or get the name done in vinyl, apply and D O N E ;)

Inexpensive, no mistakes quick.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Oh, and you can get vinyl reg#s done in the same font
IMAG1611_zps93614df8.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Whell I wood help, butt I kan't spill that greight... :facepalm:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You might try this...Online there's a site called CoolText.com. All kinds of great fonts etc. you can create your Name in the font of your choice and blow it up to size. Print it out on any inkjet printer. Heck you could print it out one letter at a time and then cut them out to use as a stencil and then paint it your self. I've done this on my custom Adirondack chairs and it works GREAT!!!

Redchair1.JPG

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most artists are starving, find one, hand them a sandwich and paint brush.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
most artists are starving, find one, hand them a sandwich and paint brush.
maybe you're right, considering the impressive work I've seen displayed on iboats. So impressive that it's almost daunting for me to post a pic of anything I build. I doubt most of it could be done without the aid of high quality products and tools; yet, some are just real Craftsmen.
But the expense of such things may be cause for charity :lol:

Ned L

Commander
Even if not perfect, I think a hand lettering job just looks better than decals. :D

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Even if not perfect, I think a hand lettering job just looks better than decals. :D
Definitely, it's not that big a deal to me, but my lettering... lol imho, maybe it isn't that bad. I have more of a swamp boat than offshore. Not entering any contests, still want it looking OK.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
seems like I'm always thinking ahead these days - like I should have been all along lol. Nah, it's just that I have the time now and my concerns are minimal. I've reached the Pyrite Age! :lol:

Was going to wait until after Christmas, but can't "stand" sitting still :D
Might be opening a can of worms... will see. It's transom time, not that mine is in bad shape and not that I don't have enough "other" little things going on.

A BIG THANK YOU to all