Are you ready?

NathanY

Commander
After seeing what has happened to Florida this past month, I am wondering how many of you are prepared for a natural or man-made disaster. How many of you are prepared to go 30 days with out any electric or comforts you have right now. If you had to, would you be able to leave right now, and be able to survive for 30 days on just what you could put in your car? FEMA says that most can not. FEMA also says that you should have atleast 3 days worth of food and water stockpiled.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Are you ready?

Yes...That's what's good about having another place to go that is stocked!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

You will allways think you're ready, but only under the gun,do you discover your preperation's strengths and weaknesses. My generator threw a rod 24hours after loosing power. We were up the creek until the replacemnt could be brought in, a day later.

Homerr

Commander

No problem...<br /><br />One nice thing about living in the country and mountains and being an avid outdoor person.<br /><br />I could live off the land for a time.<br /><br />Now my teenage kids? Forget it.. They'd go nuts without their stereo or Nintendo!<br /><br />H.

NathanY

Commander

Homerr, I take from your answer that you are not prepared. If some kind of huge disaster happens, you will not be able to just go out and kill a deer or something. Do you think that they are just gonna stand around and see what partakes?<br /><br />You are stranded up on your mountain, can not leave because a big *** tree just fell over on your vehicles. You now have no running water, or electric. Now what? Do you have the necessary supplies to make due through 14 days of total darkness say from a volcano eruption? Will you have water to drink because now all the streams are contaminated with volcanic ash, fish are suffocating and lying all over the banks dead. Living where you live, that is not an impossible scenerio.<br /><br />This is very serious folks. You all need to be prepared.

KaGee

Admiral

You mean the GOVERNMENT won't take care of me?? :eek:

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Living only ONE MILE from the St. Andreas earthquake fault, you better believe we're ready and have been since I bought this property 26 years ago.<br /><br />When the Loma Prieta hit here in 1989, we were without power for about a week. But I have a small Honda generator that I can use to run small stuff, like tv's, two way radio system, etc.<br />We had a motorhome at that time, whch had a 3-kw generator, which I was able to tie into the house lines, so we had power for our gas furance blower, refrigerator's, lights, Buck Stove, etc. <br />We had power within 1/2 hour after the earthquake, much to the dismay of some of our snooty neighbors. :eek: <br /><br />We sold the motor home, but still have the small Honda generator, plus we now have a 5kw gen., which is quite loud, but gives us all the "juice" that we need. We suffer power outages frequently here in the winter, during the storms.<br /><br />Then there is our large food and water supply, including MRE's, etc. Not to mention my own personal supply of various "golden" colored, carbonated, water base beverages, that have their own opening system on the top. :D (My own cure for depression) :cool: <br /><br />...Bob in Shakeyfornia...

Stratosfied

Ensign

I found out during Ivan that being as prepared as possible not only will give you comfort during the storm/disaster, but after as well. I have added several more items to my list of things that we need in order to function reasonably for any length of time. The top of the list is one of those two burner cookers that you can run off a 40# lp cylinder. My sister has one and man is it nice.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Strat-o<br /><br />It's nice to have that stuff. Our electric stove took a dump a couple of months ago and the new one wouldn't be delivered for two weeks. I pulled the old stove out and put my large camping stove in the space and used it for the two weeks. <br />My camping gear has come in handy many times here, but we haven't have to use our 3 room tent in the backyard yet.<br />Living in a tent for a couple of weeks would cause my wife to "vapor lock." Hummm??? :rolleyes: <br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Hell I've gone 4 or 5 days without eating anything. The only issue is when it occurs. In the middle of winter with no secondary heat source I could have some issues. But in a push I could burn the furnature. <br /><br />Checklist,<br />Beer<br />Water<br />canned food<br />propane for camp stove<br />10 day battery for cell phone<br />guns and ammo<br />portable toilet<br />first aid kit<br />assuming I had time full tanks of gas in vehicles (truck is always full)<br />flashlights<br />lanterns<br />charcoal for grill

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by POINTER94:<br /> Checklist,<br />Beer...<br />
Pointer, I see you have your priorities in order! :D

aspeck

Staff member

Survival would not be a problem. You don't need electricity to survive! And there are many ways to get to food sources. Now if you are talking maintaining the quality of life you would have outside of catastrophe - that would be ridiculous! But survival would not be a problem. During Ivan we had deer standing in the front yard! Plenty of ways to collect water and distill it so it is safe to drink.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

30 days might be a little stretch, but I think we would be fine. We take off on the spur of the moment for trips (Long weekends to a week off). We keep our travel trailer stocked, and ready to roll at all times. When we finish a weekend, We repelenish all used items so we are ready to go again. Between what we have at the house, and in the RV, I think we would be OK.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

In reality, if a disaster stikes you really only need three things.<br /><br />Water<br />Food<br />Shelter<br /><br />Trust me, I can find a way to get all three.<br /><br />Besides, I live in Houston, so we know when a major NATURAL disaster is coming.<br /><br />Ken

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

MY voted "who cares"... pack up the family and go<br />to a motel for awhile.<br />of course if I was lost in the woods and had to<br />survive, I think I could? was eagle scout...<br />I could at least make a fire without matches unlike<br />the idiots on survivor :p

Link

Rear Admiral

I voted no because we dont have the RV anymore which was always well stocked. <br />No electric<br />No Gas<br />No Water<br />Middle of winter with snow and cold<br />It would be a stretch on the food and water but could be done.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

30 days... No problem... I've been whording(sp?) all kinds of stuff from gas (93 octane unleaded, coleman fuel, and LP) to non perishable (canned) food and water...<br /><br />Spam <br />pinto beans<br />Spam<br />various soups<br />more Spam....<br /> :cool:

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Not a problem for me either. The wife and kids would be unconfortable but I could keep us alive very well. I live in the sticks. I am not a very good hunter but there are plenty of cows around that don't know any better. Its about 7 miles to my place (36 acres with very little water) or about 9 to my grandfathers, which is 303 acres with a 50+ acre lake, plenty of hunting, and cows everywhere around it. Survival in the country is easy, liking it is the hard part.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Watching 'survivor' last night, 8 grow and burly men couldn't light a fire to save their lives, I doubt I could (never tried without matches).<br /><br />Mellowyellow, how would you do it? <br /><br />Aldo