Are you boating now?

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I was wondering how many are using their boats right now, and how many are waiting out the winter? I realize we're scattered across the globe and it's summer for some, but still just a fun poll.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Are you boating now?

I voted that I am currently using the boat even though I am sitting here at work goofing off and the boat is in the shop for annual maintenance. It should be back by the weekend. Just in time to go fishing. A 3 day weekend at that!

aspeck

Staff member

I couldn't vote - none apply to me. Weather is good for boating here, but my boat is 5,000 miles away. Guess I will have to run up the coast about an hours drive and rent one!

KennyKenCan

Commander

I could only wish that it was nice enough to go boating.<br /><br />But at 40*, I'm staying home, right next to my fireplace with the roaring fire, and a nice ice cold beer!<br /><br />Maybe I'll restring a couple poles, but thats about it!

STEVEHONAS

Cadet

im sick off roasting this sw florida weather is to hot for me i need to go back to california

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I belong in the same category as Mr Ladyfish. I could be boating, but with hunting, I just dont have the time.<br /><br />I will be in a couple of weeks.<br /><br />Ken

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Honey-do's last weekend, Fort Worth boat show this weekend, fishing maybe next weekend.<br /><br />Here's an excerpt from my local fishing board about last Friday's fishing on Cedar Creek Lake:<br /><br />"To the best of my calculation, the ex-offical total of legal hybrids caught Friday morning by five boats during the most active morning that I can recall was........drum roll please...... <br /><br />184<br /><br />All caught and released I think. "<br />[note - a "legal hybrid" is 17", usually at least 4 lbs]<br /><br /><br />Here's last Friday's report from Lake Texoma:<br /><br />"Ran into fish & birds in the fog and haze. But I had Mark's problem I could not catch any box fish. I caught 20"+ all morning under birds in open water. Later I made it up into Rock Creek and it was full of box fish. I could cast in any direction and get a 17-20" fish almost everytime. It was almost calm water up there and no other boats. I lost count but I probably got 50+ fish for the day all on sassys. The biggest one went to 10 lbs. I think I will sell my golf clubs. "<br />[note - "box fish" refers to keepers under 20" since there's a daily bag limit of 2 20+ fish.]

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by MUDDFISH:<br /> im sick off roasting this sw florida weather is to hot for me i need to go back to california
Hmmm, "mudfish"...California...seems to be a tie between the name and the state right now!!! I was teasing a friend yesterday about how he could now scoop up fish in the mud in his yard in Southern Cali...mudfish, get it??? Tee hee, da hut da hut...

dolluper

Captain

No not boating the trailer and boats locked in ice and s--n--o--w but it's ok it's stock market season just like ice fishing sometimes[get nothing but ice]and a frozen butt

Stratosfied

Ensign

Temp is 70 right now. Hope to get out on water Friday, but I think its gonna get cold after this front moves thru.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Oh to be boating right now...Weather forcast for this weekend is -30. Just a mere 100 degrees from fair boating weather and 120 degrees from swimming weather. That's even too freaking cold to sit on the boat with coffee and daydream about boating! Looks like my weekend plans are a roaring fire in the woodstove in the garage and finnish up a couple projects out there.

phatmanmike

Captain

i just went out last weekend, only for a few mins though. just to test out the new(used)inflatable avon, looking for leeks and to see how good the floor holds up.<br /><br />this was new years weekend, and the boat ramp parking lot, which hosts 12 ramps, was absolutely full, i had to park across the street at the beach and walk back across in my flipflops, wearing shorts and no shirt. heck, i almost spilled my beer! hahahahahahahaha<br /><br /><br />florida rocks !!!

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been tempted to get the boat out recently, had I not made an effort to winterize it. I've seen plenty of fishing boats out on the lake. I assume the guys who fish year-round from trailered bass boats must store them indoors to keep the LU from freezing, or really trust that their seals are in good shape.

brother chris

Commander

I am patiently(I use that term loosely) waiting for the damn snow to get off the boat ramps, so I don't lose my truck while backing into the water. <br />I asked my friend last weekend if he would help me winch the boat and trailer from up top of the boat ramp. <br />Said I was crazy!<br />I'm looking on a daily basis when I can get it into the water and go fishing and cruising. <br />I fired her up a couple weeks ago and runs like a charm. I can't wait!!!<br />Our snow does not usually last long, maybe 2 weeks max. The cold is another thing, but that is what jackets and hats are for.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm one of the lucky ones - it's summer down here (at last - the weather took a while to realise this).<br /><br />I usually boat in the sea, but last week I travelled the distance to try out a lake for the first time (Lake Karapiro). If was very smooth - great for waterskiing and no cleaning down the boat afterwards....I'm hooked! :D <br /><br /> http://www.waipadc.govt.nz/karapiro.htm

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

If I get a free day and the ramps are open on a river I want to fish I'll be out w/o a doubt .. but, first have to battle the time factor before anything else..<br /><br />nothing like getting out and fishing a river in the winter when all the inland lakes have a hard cover on 'em!!

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I'd be using mine right now if I could- trailer problems are stopping me. I bought a boat with a cabin and a full folding cockpit cover so I could use her all winter...

sangerwaker

Commander

We've got the same deal here in the St Paul area, Barlow. My boat is on storage, but we still take out a couple of buddies boats who are fortunate enough to have heated garages. Not much competition for water this time of year here. I guess there's a spot down by Red Wing that never freezes either, but I personally haven't been there.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

After Christmas it was in the 50's so I launched the boat and took it for a spin on the Rappahannock. I went out alone, and there was not another soul on the river. Kinda nice.<br /><br />Jinx