Are You A "Fair-Weather" Boater?

emoney

Commander
Re: Are You A "Fair-Weather" Boater?

Knowing that this;
sunset.jpg

Is at the end of the canal makes all the frustrations of life seem to be worth it. Anytime I fight with my motor, come home "job-stressed" or generally start feeling sorry for myself, I go outside and shut my mouth for minute and just look.:)

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

years ago I would take our boat out and fish when it wasn't cold enough to freeze the lake but was cold enough for ice form on the line on the line .... now I'm just short of turning 66 and have no desire to fish in cold weather .... along that same I used to take the boat out in rough water and tell stories about it later .... no longer have a desire to do so today .... for me age and hopefully the wisdom that is accumulated over time has most certainly turned me into a fair-weather boater

Jim

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Knowing that this;
sunset.jpg

Is at the end of the canal makes all the frustrations of life seem to be worth it. Anytime I fight with my motor, come home "job-stressed" or generally start feeling sorry for myself, I go outside and shut my mouth for minute and just look.:)

I have to agree emoney. The stress of the week just melts away. Here is a pic sitting in the back of the boat on Sparrow Lake watching the sun come up with my morning coffee. Nothing better to destress. Man I love boating.
georgianBay22.jpg

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Been some very intertesting comments on this thread! One thing I'm seeing with the comments is the age of some boaters. I'm thinking about doing a thread about "age" and boating. I know that weather conditions can play a major part in taking a boat out on the water for older people......like ourselves.
As far as a lot of people thinking that we here in Florida have the luxury of "year-around boating", it can definitely depend on what part of Florida a boater lives in. Boating here in northeastern Florida definitely isn't the same as boating in the Miami area! We can (do) have our days of high temps of 55 and 65 degrees during our winter months. We do have a longer boating season than when we live just south of Denver, CO, BUT there are months here (Nov thru Mar) that can be too cool to boat in. The boat local boat ramp area parking lots are pretty empty........and for a good reason, TOO COOL to being fairly COLD. We enjoy wearing shorts/shortsleeved shirts when we boat, NOT jeans, long sleeved shirts and a jacket!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

You know that guy on the commercial that says: "60 is the new 40". Seems that way to me!!

It was a little cool today and the sun didn't come out so we decided to take the boat out instead of the jetski. While we were puddling around in our favorite cove a brand new jetki custom model came in and the couple jumped off for a swim. Since I was thinking about upgrading to one just like it I waded over to them to see how they liked it. Turned out to be really friendly and we ended up talking for an hour. They were both 75 and said they had been riding 'skis for years.

My friend's mother is 80 and she enjoys a ski ride now and then. My Dad is 81 and he still hunts in the snow. I'm 62 and I'll sit in a hunting blind for half a day when its in the 20's. My neighbor down the street rides his bicycle 365 days a year to visit his disabled son in the nursing home - rain sleet snow , doesn't matter, he has a different bike for each condition (he'e one heck of a devoted father but that's another story) - he's in his 80's as well. My grandma retired at 80, my grandfather died at 93 and he was up on the roof pointing the chimney the day before he died. I can go on and on....

Personally, I don't thing that "age" has anything to do with it. Having your health is what matters. I'm sorry to hear about your surgeries and all. I hope your health gets better and you live a long prosperous life.

LuvBoating

Well, guess we will have to "agree to disagree" on the age thing. We've already read a number of comments on this Thread that relate "age" with boating. As far as that commercial, that wife and I have seen, we think it a bunch of "mularky"........just another commercial on tv trying to sell something!
We are sure there are people in their 60's, 70's and even 80's that can do things that 40 yr olds can do, but on the average, that's just not true! Many of us have had surgeries that prevent us from doing things that we use to and then there are those that have had surgeries that TRY to do the same things they did before they had the surgeries and end up injuring themselves somehow. Whenever I look at photo's of past boating events, I don't see hardly any 60+ age people beaching their boat and enjoying a sandy beach on an island offshore. However, I would see a number of 60+ yr olds with either cuddy cabin's or full-size cabin cruisers anchored or docked and enjoying themselves onboard their boats. The younger crowd have Bowriders!
When the St John's River Poker Run is at the Jax Landing here, the pictures that are posted online show very few-to-none 60+ yr olds partying at the Landing the night before the Run. The ladies that are in the swimsuit contest are young enough to be our granddaughters.......have absolutely NO interest in seeing that! Just giving examples here of the greater age bracket that does boat.

You know that guy on the commercial that says: "60 is the new 40". Seems that way to me!!

It was a little cool today and the sun didn't come out so we decided to take the boat out instead of the jetski. While we were puddling around in our favorite cove a brand new jetki custom model came in and the couple jumped off for a swim. Since I was thinking about upgrading to one just like it I waded over to them to see how they liked it. Turned out to be really friendly and we ended up talking for an hour. They were both 75 and said they had been riding 'skis for years.

My friend's mother is 80 and she enjoys a ski ride now and then. My Dad is 81 and he still hunts in the snow. I'm 62 and I'll sit in a hunting blind for half a day when its in the 20's. My neighbor down the street rides his bicycle 365 days a year to visit his disabled son in the nursing home - rain sleet snow , doesn't matter, he has a different bike for each condition (he'e one heck of a devoted father but that's another story) - he's in his 80's as well. My grandma retired at 80, my grandfather died at 93 and he was up on the roof pointing the chimney the day before he died. I can go on and on....

Personally, I don't thing that "age" has anything to do with it. Having your health is what matters. I'm sorry to hear about your surgeries and all. I hope your health gets better and you live a long prosperous life.

oldjeep

Admiral

I agree - My 66 year old father inlaw makes the rest of us look like monkeys in the slalom course, just one of the benefits from staying active. My dad prefers his pontoon but will still blaze around on his 215 HP Jetski occasionally.

Half the guys that I downhill ski with are on their 2nd knee surgeries - seems like if they get right back at it then they have no problems. the guys who nurse the injuries and stop their activities go physically down hill quick.

As for the original question - yes we are fair weather boaters. We mainly ski/board and then beach the boat to play catch in the water. None of those activities are much fun in the rain.

chizwizdiz

Seaman Apprentice

I'll probably be the youngest person (31) to post in this thread, but in Michigan there is definitely a "boating season", so I maximize my summer boating time. I spend every minute I can at the marina, or out on the lake somewhere, rain or shine!

LuvBoating

Well, some people are just plain tough, while others aren't as much!

I remember back in my 20's, 30's and 40's I use to do some work on my own vehicles. Install 8-track or cassette stereo's/speakers, change plugs/wires, do oil changes, change starters, BUT not anymore! Those "crawling around" days are long gone for me! I can still add fluids and change an air filter, but that's it. I remember spending years working in a warehouse, driving a forklift/loading/unloading trailers and flatbeds, palletizing/strapping down items and hauling 55 gallon drums of liquid w/a drum 2-wheeler......then I got a job in Purchasing/Inventory Management. Had my own office, computer and phone and LOVED it!!

My brother is 67 and loves doing physical work. For years (before he retired) he worked the heavy equipment department for the State of PA, had his own office and secretary. He told me he let his secretary handle all of the computer stuff and he could be found out in the garage helping his mechanics. To this day, he loves the physical labor of redoing homes he buys and working outside. For me, I love doing things on the computer (he hates computers) and don't do any more lawn work cause we live in a nice apartment.

I don't baby my hip or shoulder, but definitely remember what both surgeons told me about "overdoing" things and getting to physical. "I don't want to see you back here under my knife again" I was told.

LuvBoating

When I WAS 31, I'd do the same! Of course, at 63 now, I'm smarter than I was at 31. A person learns a lot in those 32 years.......including about boating, when and when not to!

I'll probably be the youngest person (31) to post in this thread, but in Michigan there is definitely a "boating season", so I maximize my summer boating time. I spend every minute I can at the marina, or out on the lake somewhere, rain or shine!

MJG24

Seaman

I'm in my late 30's, and I guess wise beyond my years :). I am more of a 'fair weather boater'. I have a relatively short season, and try to get out as much as possible, but have little or no enjoyment in crappy weather.

I am the recipient of my boat this year due to my father 'giving it up'. He is 70, and just didn't want to mess with it anymore.

Of course he can still use the boat whenever he wants, and will go with us sometimes, while I do all the maintenance and pay for everything. It's been mentioned to me that maybe I'm the one getting the raw deal. But it has worked out great for him and my family.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think one of the things that "gets to you" as you age is the trailer/launch/retrieve thing, more than the weather or other conditions. Get a power winch. Maybe a smaller boat/single axle trailer/rollers. Slip, lift or dry stack. or maybe a larger boat (more enclosed) and no trailer every time you want to use it.

Make it easier and don't worry about paying for it.

Around here (tidal waters) some of the old timers stick to high tide "never step down into a boat."

So much depends on the undefinable term "boating." if all you do is ride around looking, then of course you want the fair weather. For me and most boaters I know personally (but certainly not many of the people here) "boating" is merely a means to an end, not an end in itself. You use the boat to go fishing, to get to the hunt club or camp site, to hunt, enjoy the winter nature, whatever. That's more important than just riding. So naturally you go out in conditions not conducive to a cocktail cruise or raft-up--even if you ALSO enjoy the fair weather cruising.

When it's too cold, too hot or too choppy, too buggy, I know I could handle it b/c I have handled it before, but I may choose not to go out, or I may avoid the bad conditions, because to me it's not that much fun. Sometimes it's part of the thrill to still go out in bad conditions because you can--that's something duck hunters understand that golfer can't.

LuvBoating

We LOVE your words below (we put in dark black), unfortunately we don't have an income or bank account so big that we could ever say that!!

I think one of the things that "gets to you" as you age is the trailer/launch/retrieve thing, more than the weather or other conditions. Get a power winch. Maybe a smaller boat/single axle trailer/rollers. Slip, lift or dry stack. or maybe a larger boat (more enclosed) and no trailer every time you want to use it.

Make it easier and don't worry about paying for it.

Around here (tidal waters) some of the old timers stick to high tide "never step down into a boat."

So much depends on the undefinable term "boating." if all you do is ride around looking, then of course you want the fair weather. For me and most boaters I know personally (but certainly not many of the people here) "boating" is merely a means to an end, not an end in itself. You use the boat to go fishing, to get to the hunt club or camp site, to hunt, enjoy the winter nature, whatever. That's more important than just riding. So naturally you go out in conditions not conducive to a cocktail cruise or raft-up--even if you ALSO enjoy the fair weather cruising.

When it's too cold, too hot or too choppy, too buggy, I know I could handle it b/c I have handled it before, but I may choose not to go out, or I may avoid the bad conditions, because to me it's not that much fun. Sometimes it's part of the thrill to still go out in bad conditions because you can--that's something duck hunters understand that golfer can't.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

We LOVE your words below (we put in dark black), unfortunately we don't have an income or bank account so big that we could ever say that!!

my point is this: recreational boating is not economical. it is spending money and the sole purpose is fun. So by owning a boat in the first place you are spending money you don't have for something you don't need. it is not a waste of money, however, if you use the boat; it is a waste if you don't. So spending a little more (ex. buy a power winch) so you use it more is wise use of money. Buying a boat that is a pain to use is not.

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have read almost all the posts and come to the decision that Age is not the factor as much as how you feel .
I have seldom let weather except Lightning stop me from fishing ,, boating ,, hunting to the dismay of first , second wives and now a ladyfriend . I love running chop , go wave pounding . and WOT at that, just as much as i still love a quiet cove for fishing, or a glass of wine there, with a cutie by my side in most any kind of weather.

We Splashed "Jess Ducky" last Saturday and hope i have now got a boat that will take the abuse other boats of mine could not .

I hit the great 72 in May and see no end in sight "Kids" !!

LuvBoating

No "toys" are economical to use/have, unless, like you say, they aren't being used and simply just sitting around. We do get our boat out, but just not nearly as much as we'd like to. My wife works a full-time job during the week, so that only leaves the weekends, holidays and vacations to put it on the water. Compared to folks who are retired and have any time to boat, the weather can really limit us in boating........even here in northeastern Florida.
The perfect situation for us would be to have the boat in Dry Storage, but that financially can't be done! I've already got an electric winch picked out, if my wife continues to have a physical problem with retrieving the boat up onto the trailer.
When our boat is on the trailer, it can only be boarded from the stern by way of a 1-step "pull-out" ladder. Not necessarily the easiest thing for older folks, with a little extra weight, can do! We can't afford dry storage and we sure can't afford a different boat! There are just some things that people can't do anything about and have to put up with.

We take our boat out as much as we can and that's a whole lot more than we can say about some folks!!:)

my point is this: recreational boating is not economical. it is spending money and the sole purpose is fun. So by owning a boat in the first place you are spending money you don't have for something you don't need. it is not a waste of money, however, if you use the boat; it is a waste if you don't. So spending a little more (ex. buy a power winch) so you use it more is wise use of money. Buying a boat that is a pain to use is not.

LuvBoating

Believe me, "age" and "feeling" can be in the same category a lot of times when it comes to aches/pains! I use to work in Senior Healthcare and, from what I seen, wife and I (and others) are awefully lucky that we can do a lot of the things we still do. We've had 75 yr old folks tell us that we are still young, but of course, 10 years ago when we both were in our early 50's, we definitely felt younger than we do now in our early 60's! We both still enjoy going to the gun/rifle range and shooting targets and see very few (almost none) in our age bracket there shooting. Heck, we see very few couples in our age bracket with boats at the Jax Landing when we are there.

As far as your age of "72" and doing what you do, all we both can say is "we sure hope we still can by that age!". Keep it going dude!!

I have read almost all the posts and come to the decision that Age is not the factor as much as how you feel .
I have seldom let weather except Lightning stop me from fishing ,, boating ,, hunting to the dismay of first , second wives and now a ladyfriend . I love running chop , go wave pounding . and WOT at that, just as much as i still love a quiet cove for fishing, or a glass of wine there, with a cutie by my side in most any kind of weather.

We Splashed "Jess Ducky" last Saturday and hope i have now got a boat that will take the abuse other boats of mine could not .

I hit the great 72 in May and see no end in sight "Kids" !!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

"When our boat is on the trailer, it can only be boarded from the stern by way of a 1-step "pull-out" ladder. Not necessarily the easiest thing "

carry a step stool or small step ladder in the vehicle. Mine is hard to climb in and out and that's what I do if I am working on it.

Just look for the things that take away from the "fun" and try to solve them one at a time.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

We both still enjoy going to the gun/rifle range and shooting targets and see very few (almost none) in our age bracket there shooting. Heck, we see very few couples in our age bracket with boats at the Jax Landing when we are there.

QUOTE]

Funny how things are different in different parts of the country. We both shoot frequently at our gun club. When we can we like to go during the week when there are fewer on the range. I swear, those times there isnt anybody under 80! My Dad often goes too and he's 87. The pistol and rifle matches are dominated by retirees. Funny about organized clubs - hard to get new members. The youngins don't like organized events. We've been members since 1976.

Our local harbor fills up with cruisers on friday night and they don't leave till sunday night. Lots of restaurants and shopping within a 1/2 mile walk of the docks. Concerts on saturday night. Once again, very few of the overnighters are below retirement age. Heck, I know I couldn't have afforded a cruiser like they have when the kids were small....LOL.

We also downhill ski a few times a year at a local resort. Weekdays are about 30% seniors, 30% teachers playing hookie and 30% college students.

LuvBoating

We know a married couple in our age bracket that my wife graduated high school with and was her Maid of Honor at our wedding. He tells us how they don't like to take their boat out on the weekends due to all the traffic.........he and his wife are fully retired. When I tell him thru e-mail, "it sure must be nice to be retired and have everyday to do things", he never responds. Not sure if he doesn't like hearing that or what. They have three homes and one of them is along the coast just south of us. We don't get together that often b/c all they want to do is go out to dinner all the time. We just can't afford that! They take their cuddy cabin out quite often, when they are here in Florida, but it's always during the week.

Last year, we took another CGA Boating Class at a local boat clubhouse/meeting room. We ate our lunch in the bar area and looked at some of the photos of members (w/their boats) and everyone looked in our age bracket and above, BUT all of them had cabin cruisers and would do overnight cruise's to different places. We can't do that! And, the cost of the club was way over our budget!

We are, and will always be, "fair-weather" boaters. We've been caught in the rain and jolted by wind/waves and it sure WASN'T fun (for us, that is)!! We are trying to tolerate higher heat, but it's really difficult at the older age!