Are boat ignition keys unique

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have somehow managed to lose the ignition keys for my 1987 Force 125 hp outboard. So i need to know if I can just purchase an ignition switch and use the keys it comes with, or do I need to install the new ignition?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
There are a few different keys... for each brand.

Chances of accidentally getting the right key are not good... if you do, then buy a lotto ticket.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Not very unique. There is usually a code that you can find and order a new key or you can just get a new ignition switch with keys.

Take the ignition switch out an see if there is a code on it.

For my Mercury, I wanted to order a set of keys and the code was on my original keys.

robert graham

Admiral
Yamaha outboards have the key code under that black rubber key grommet....maybe check there, but not sure about Force motors

Alumarine

Captain
My mercury dealer had a key ring with copies of a number of different mercury keys.
I tried them until I found the right one and got one with the same code.

shrew

Lieutenant
There aren't millions of unique keys for the millions of cars manufactured either. There are many people walking around in the world with your car keys in their pockets. Back in the 80's I worked for a Dodge Dealership. A customer got into a car, started it up and drove home, only realize halfway home that it wasn't his car. Two identical models and color were in the service lot at the same time. They happened to be keyed with the same keys. He assumed it was his when his keys both unlocked the door and started the ignition.

Dodge claimed they try to avoid this by shipping cars with the keys to different parts of the country. I suspect they largely operate on customer ignorance.

You can either bu a new ignition and use the keys that come with it, or try and find the code on the ignition. You'll probably need to pull the ignition either way.

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class
There aren't millions of unique keys for the millions of cars manufactured either. There are many people walking around in the world with your car keys in their pockets. Back in the 80's I worked for a Dodge Dealership. A customer got into a car, started it up and drove home, only realize halfway home that it wasn't his car. Two identical models and color were in the service lot at the same time. They happened to be keyed with the same keys. He assumed it was his when his keys both unlocked the door and started the ignition.

Dodge claimed they try to avoid this by shipping cars with the keys to different parts of the country. I suspect they largely operate on customer ignorance.

You can either bu a new ignition and use the keys that come with it, or try and find the code on the ignition. You'll probably need to pull the ignition either way.

I once locked my keys in my van while out camping in Uwharrie National Forest in N.C., and this old man walks up with a big ole key ring full of keys and said one of his might work on mine, and sure enough, he found one.

Anyway, I ordered a new ignition switch last night, but found my old keys this morning. I had misplaced them in my one of my tool box drawers.

thumpar

Admiral

My mom once loaded groceries in the wrong car because the key worked in it. It does happen but not common to get the same key. You can get a new ignition for under $20. Much less hassle than trying to find a key that fits it. I lot the key to my old boat and just went to NAPA for a new ignition. It is only a few screws and 15 minutes. Just make sure you take the + off the battery first.

thumpar

Admiral
I once locked my keys in my van while out camping in Uwharrie National Forest in N.C., and this old man walks up with a big ole key ring full of keys and said one of his might work on mine, and sure enough, he found one.

Anyway, I ordered a new ignition switch last night, but found my old keys this morning. I had misplaced them in my one of my tool box drawers.
I make it a habit of either leaving the key in the ignition or in a specific drawer in the house now. If I pull the key out the first thing I do is put the keys in that drawer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My ignition keys never leave the ignition unless I am going to leave the boat untended at a public dock.

oldjeep

Admiral
My ignition keys never leave the ignition unless I am going to leave the boat untended at a public dock.

When I had a boat with keys ours was the same way, although even at a restaurant dock they stayed in the ignition. Different elsewhere, but I've never heard of a boat being stolen around here unless it was on a trailer - and even that is extremely rare.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I also leave my key in the boat ignition. But I always have my spare boat key in the console of my truck just in case.

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I also leave my keys in the ignition at all times, but here I was swapping out outboards and everything was moving around. And I got the bright idea that I should take the keys out of the ignition... bad idea, since I wasted a whole day looking for them.