AQ125A/270 - removing U joint from Upper Gear Box

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All.

Im about to take on replacing the U joints in my AQ270. I have been able to figure out (through this forum) how to get it all apart execpt for seperating the U joint from the upper gear box housing. It looks like and reads like I need to remove the 4 bolts that hold the clamp ring in place (part 36 and bolt 37 on attached). Doing that will allow the U joint and a bunch of parts to come out of the housing still on the aft U joint shaft. Is this correct? If this is true, I plan to replace the fore and aft U joint crosses while all the bearings etc are stll attached. Then once done, can I just slide the complete U joint into the housing and secure the clamp ring and reassemble the rest?

Thanks in advance.

Donnie.

Attachments

• Upper Gear Unit.jpg
    Upper Gear Unit.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 3

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: AQ125A/270 - removing U joint from Upper Gear Box

Looking at it again... it seems that I will have to remove all the parts from the aft u joint shaft in order to get the clamp ring out of the way so I can change out the aft cross.

So... if I take it all appart, will I have to reshim and all that or will I be able to put it all back to gether the same way it came out and reinsert it into the upper gear housing?

I would really like to replace both crosses considering I have it apart....

Thanks.

Donnie.