Anyone on here own this boat?

streetrods

Seaman
Re: Anyone on here own this boat?

you guys are lucky. Lime Time lives outside... at least covered at all times. except when i'm using it or it's being worked on.

sr, did ya see that red nineteen one a google search of nineteens... it was for sale last year i think. sold best know.

so how is the engine and drive. most of the work i've had to perform on mine has been with the drive and associated parts. only done pm on the engine. so far.

Yeah I saw that one looks good but I like the scheme on Jim's 19 much better...

I didn't take the boat out on the water so I guess I'm trusting the guy.. He had the drive totally gone through a few years ago and has not put many hours on it since.. I will have to make sure the bellows and stuff are ok still.. he did have it out once last year and had no leaks.. The motor is original and super clean.. not cleaned up just clean everywhere..

ziggy

Admiral

Yeah I saw that one looks good but I like the scheme on Jim's 19 much better...
are they the same boat. renojim, is that yer red boat on the google search?
He had the drive totally gone through a few years ago and has not put many hours on it since
imho, i'd at least drain the gear lub, feeling the first little bit coming out for metal fragments or shavings. also noting it's color. then pressure test it to see if the seals are in fact sealed. the pics of the drive sure do look good. like it's been cared for.
for the engine check the compression. i like to check it spring and fall. did one when i bought the boat. it's not as good as i'd like to see it, but serviceable and hasn't changed over the years.
The motor is original and super clean.. not cleaned up just clean everywhere..
outstanding. clean is a good sign i'd think.
mine was kinda dusty when i got it. it's been in storage for 15 years for the most part. took me awhile to clean her up.. after 5 years of running it. now it's starting to look clean, but used (likely because i have used it as much as possible)... :)

streetrods

Seaman

ziggy... What is the compression range on the 6 ?

Here is Jim's boatc5e1dd2304c0ecab1176603ae1aa69e8.jpg

streetrods

Seaman

This is the boat that was for sale before I was looking..think I saw where they lowered the price to $4400 before it sold which by the looks of it was a heck of a dealBoat%202008%20003%20Compressed.jpgLake%20Hopatcong%20Summer%202008%20006%20Compressed.jpg

renojim

Seaman Apprentice

Hey streetrods
If I remember right they say a minimum of two coats and suggest three. It is a one to one epoxy. I purchased the one gallon kit which means two gallons total. I thinned it 10% with their thinner and was able to get four coats with a little left. The paint is nasty. I used marine grade rollers and by the end of a coat they would be starting to fall apart. I did the extra coat because I stripped all the the Gel-coat off. When I bought it I thought it was just the anti-fouling paint falling off. It was the Gel-coat. OOPS!!!!!!
chipping & sanding 1.JPGchipping & sanding 2.jpgView attachment 134002

Interlux also makes they Interprotect 3000 which is the ultimate protection against osmotic blistering. The problem with it is there is no UV protection in the paint so it needs to be covered by some type of bottom paint. My boat will not be in the water for a long enough period to need anti-foul paint. Plus anti-foul colors are ugly.

VC Performance paint has Teflon to make it easier to sand super smooth between coats if you want. ie. Race boats.
Depending on temperature I think you can wait up to two days between coats. After that it gets to hard for a chemical bond and must be sanded before the next coat. This stuff is Epoxy and it gets VERY HARD.

I bought my paint from WEST MARINE before I knew about IBoats. Iboats is 20% cheaper.

If you got any more ????? just ask?
I'm totally addicted to this site and allways lurking:)

Attachments

• chipping & sanding 3.JPG
    chipping & sanding 3.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
  • chipping & sanding 4.JPG
    chipping & sanding 4.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 0

ziggy

Admiral

What is the compression range on the 6 ?
spec. is 140 psi. spread is no more than 20psi between highest and lowest. that's from pp 1b-1 in s/m 2. you would use s/m 1 for a '72. ya can look at some s/m's here. i've seen some folks still have access to pdf file s/m's. like use to be available. if ya ask over on the i/o form. maybe one of those folks will help ya out. for yer own piece of mind. get one of them oem s/m's. imho, it's a must have tool for working on your rig.

so those are 2 different boats. man, they look similar to me. both look really great...

streetrods

Seaman

ziggy I will get a s/m for mine..

Jim best deal I see is on eBay from the place I think you got yours from... it doesn't say on the auction or on here what color it is? I'm assuming it only comes in white? Did you use a primer or put it right on the prepped fiberglass?

renojim

Seaman Apprentice

No primer for the VC Performance paint. I did use there Epoxy Primekote before using there Perfection Top side paint. Rochelle Red YHS299. I used the 2 part Perfection instead of the 1 part Brightside. They said basically 10 year life span vs 5 year. Only wanted to do it one time!
done paintn.JPG

I checked out eBay, wow that is a killer price. 40$ cheaper then I paid two years ago.

streetrods

Seaman

Well I messaged the guy on eBay and what they are selling only makes one gallon...so not that good of a deal.. On here it calims to be 2 gallons for $20 more

Popped my rear floor plugs today.... foam is dry at least down about 4 inches... are you guys digging it all the way down or am I ok?

renojim

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a gallon kit which comes with 2 one gallon cans. I actually don't remember if they were both full or if they were designed to be poured one into the other. One kit did from 2" above water line 4 coats. They only make a quart kit or a gallon kit. www.yachtpaint.com has all the specs plus srayer settings and such. You can also call their tech line, +18004687589 they were very helpful to even a novice like myself.

To check you really need to dig down to the hull and especially inward towards the ski locker. Lowest point. I did the test you did, down 4" and thought everthing was great. When I drilled into the transom to install a transducer a couple of gallons of water came out. Houston we have a problem!!! transducer leak.JPG

Chech to see if your ski locker tubes are rotted, that is where I think my water got in. Mine was spring wound cloth. Not much left after forty years, just pieces of rusted wire and nothing sealing it to the fiberglass or foam. wet foam.jpg

streetrods

Seaman

Hmm.. well I'm not too sure I want to cut my floors out this go around or not... we will see...

I did get some work done to it early this morning and a little after work.. Need to pull a couple more things then I will start prepping above the rub rail for white paintboat001.jpg

streetrods

Seaman

Anyone replaced their rub rail or have a source?? The insert as well as the rail itself??

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Try Tacomarine in the Tampa Bay Area, they supply a lot of OEMs and should be able to help you. Let us know what you find out. try Google to find them

renojim

Seaman Apprentice

Howzit Going Street?
I replaced mine in 2010. According to Tacomarine's website they still carry that style. When I tried to order it they said it would have to come from overseas. It would cost 50$ per 16' stick (you need 3) minumum 150 sticks ordered. They have some that might work but not real good. It has to be pretty wide to hang over the seam. I purchased mine NOS from Aristocraft. They still had some laying around don't know if they still do. The finish wasn't perfect (laying around for 30 years)which he told me before I bought it. Overall though in the distance to get around the boat I think there were only three little imperfections. I htink I paid around 50 a stick but because the sticks are 16' long they had to be trucked. Georgia to Reno 250$

Good Luck and we want to see pictures as its coming along.

P.S. the insert is still available but only in black or white.

streetrods

Seaman

I would like to have the aluminum rail but I may go with a plastic rub rail like they use on newer boats..they make some in close to the same shape and size as the factory rail these come with..... It's cheaper to ship and you can do it in one piece...

Painted the upper part of boat this past weekend.. and rolled some interlux non slip white on the inside floor and seat bases...

boat 008.jpg

renojim

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Street
Thanks for the pic, she's coming right along.
In the pic it looks like the fiberglass is cut out where the rear starboard seatback bolts in. Curious as to what it is for. Mine doesn't have the cutout and is filled solid with foam.

streetrods

Seaman

The guy I bought it from had just replaced the blower...so I'm guessing by looking at it he did that for better access maybe?

streetrods

Seaman

Got the windshields this week and installed....Not fun.. A little disappointed in the finish not being really clear and that it's green since my center windshield is clear.. Not sure if the factory ones didn't look good around the bends too or not..But hey it's a boat and since I'm building it it won't be perfect anyways.. : ) Slowly getting rid of the wood grain so redid the instrument panel in the fabric I got for the seats.. The side woodgrain is next...probably will just be white..

boat 010.jpg

boat 009.jpg

renojim

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Street

That dash looks pretty cool with the vinyl on it. Did you get you seat vinyl from Aristocraft. If so how much did it cost? If not what brand & color are you using. My seat wood is falling apart. Gona rebuild and use some new denser foam. Wife complains about her bottom when we hit rough stuff. My vinyl is still good but it's not OEM so thinking about replacing during the seat rebuild.

OEM windows are coke bottle green. If I remember right the number is 2111 cast acrylic. I think you are right about the clarity around the corners. I thought my original ones were optically clearer but was hard to tell because they were so badly crazed and broken in some spots.
Under the side woodgrain there is seam where the boat is put together. My boat is pretty wavy in this area and I think they used the woodgrain (or on later models carpet) to hide the seam.

I finally finished the transom reseal and refoaming the boat. Now it's time to rebuild the gimble housing so I can put the new engine in.
Oh well back to work.

streetrods

Seaman

Jim..I bought the vinyl on eBay I bought all the guy had of this..it had a 1/2" foam backing on it which gives me a little more cushion and makes it easier to look good I think when you are doing it yourself.. I'm doing everything but the fold down seats..have them at a shop right now... Lucky for me the guy had just redone the seats in my boat and put new wood and foam in..

Someone must have replaced my center window at some point then..guess I'll order one so it will match..

I think you should start a thread with pictures and info on your refoam.. : )