Anyone know a good cure for insomnia?

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Anyone know a good cure for insomnia?

Try listening to talk radio while in bed. Use a 'bud' type earphone to avoid annoying the gf. I find it provides enough distraction to take my mind off of problems, things I need to do, etc. This allows me to relax enough to drop off fairly quickly. Of course, gotta find the right channel. Nothing that would tend to get you excited, worked up, etc.

Stratosfied

Ensign

As a shift worker for 15+ yrs, man I know what you are talking about. For me, I need 5 hrs of uninterupted sleep. I got to where I would just sleep in doses of 1-2hrs on graveyard. Went to my Dr for a regular checkup and told her. She gave me a Prescription for Zanax 1 mg. I take one about 20 mins before bed and I rest very well. No hangover and feel good when I get up.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

stay off tea ,coffee,cola etc for at least 3hours before bed and read a good book (not a great book of you will want to stay up and finish it) dont know why I am giving advice its 1am and I have a can of coke in my hand!! PS sex works as well ,the hard bit is finding a willing participant :D :D

HEY, NOS, WAKE UP! You've been dreamin' you were asleep :D :D :D :D :D ;D:bigsmile/wink:

Skinnywater

Commander

Get on a good exercise program, 3-4 times a week.

brother chris

Commander

Originally posted by tylerin:<br /> Smoke a big doobie ;)
That's only if you live in Amsterdam...it is legal there. <br />I like to lie in bed....clear my mind of anything that is bothering me. If I think of anything that is pressing, then I take that picture and fold it in half...and keep folding it in half until it is really really small, then pretend to flick it with my finger into a lake of fire. When I do that, the thought I had, never comes back. <br />Try to focus on a goal in life you want to achieve. Even if it is one that you know you will never succeed at getting. A new house...your dream house..how you will build it etc... <br />Just think of things you really really like. Focus on things like that.<br />It all that fails ya, try sex. <br />That is....sex with someone else...not solo sex :rolleyes: :D

rwise

Captain

benadryl leaves me with a drug hangover in the morning. I've heard warm milk, but who knows. Any technical manual works for me!

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

I work shift 2 days and 2 nights, 4 days off, it really messes with my sleep patterns. Sometimes a gravol pill helps me to relax and go to sleep. I don't have a drug hangover from that.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Benadryl works for me. I have to go to sleep at 10:00am 5 days a week. If I'm not sleeping by 10:30 I take three to four benadryl (I'm almost 300 pounds so the mg/kg is about the same as an 'average' person taking two) and I'm out by 11:00. Works every time.<br /><br />Tylenol PM works too but that sometimes leaves me tired when I wake up. The benadryl works great and I wake up all rested like. I found this out by accident taking it for allergies, gets you very sleepy. The sleepy effect seems to wear off for me in about 30 to 60 minutes so take them and go lay down. <br /><br />Also you could spend some 'quality time' with the GF. That will usually put me right to sleep just ask my wife. :D <br /><br />Good luck.

one more cast

Captain

Nos4r2, <br /> I go through periods of when I can't sleep and I found a local shop that sells herb teas and if I drink a cup an hour or so before bed I sleep great. You can find all kinds of "sleepy time" teas in the food stores but this Adirondack sunset tea works the best for me. I buy it a few miles down the road but you can get it at http://www.gardenthymeherbshop.net/

LadyFish

Admiral

I've been a total insomniac for over 10 years now. At best I was getting between 3-4 hours sleep a night.<br /><br />I tried everything. I took Tylenol PM for over a year and it helped for about a week then it seemed like I was in the same sleeping pattern again, not falling to sleep for a couple of hours then waking up 1 1/2 later and have it take me another 2 to fall back asleep again.<br /><br />I went to the doctors and he told me to stop taking Tylenol PM, it keeps you awake. I looked at him like he was crazy. He explained that at first it helps you fall asleep but the PM would have the opposite affect by the following night and you wouldn't be able to fall asleep. So, you take it again and the next thing you know you're in a cycle of non-sleep again.<br /><br />I've been off it now for about 3 months now and find that I sleep more sound when I do sleep, and am averaging about 6 hours a night. Still on and off though.<br /><br />I feel for ya, its very frustrating to be this tired and not be able to sleep.<br /><br />I have heard about melatonin and the herb teas but haven't tried either yet.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I think I'm gonna be taking a trip down the herbalists and the chemists now..... Thanks people!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Modern pharmaceuticals, way better than anything over the counter but you need a sympathetic doc:<br /><br />Sonata. It doesn't put you back to sleep if your nap gets interrupted - you wake up fully awake regardless of how long you've been asleep. <br /><br />Or Ambien. You can get back to sleep if awakened. After 5 or 6 hours you wake up with no after effects at all.<br /><br />Or if you're not really into "better living through pharmaceuticals" you might try excersize.