Anyone fertilize with fish scraps?

polk county

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone here use fish scraps for fertilizer? How much to you apply? How do the plants turn out? Anyone have any experience with this or any other organic fertilizer? Im using it for tomatoes and peppers mostly.
Thanks

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Anyone fertilize with fish scraps?

My garden has over 500 walleye planted over the years, just need to bury them deep enough so the coons and cats don't dig em up. My soil is bad to begin with, so anything is an upgrade.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will give you a carp recipe, dig a hole about 18 inches deep (450 mm, 45cm), place carp in bottom (cutting in 1/2 if needed), fill hole back in with dirt removed, plant on tomato plant on top, you will eat the best carp you ever had in about 60 days.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I will give you a carp recipe, dig a hole about 18 inches deep (450 mm, 45cm), place carp in bottom (cutting in 1/2 if needed), fill hole back in with dirt removed, plant on tomato plant on top, you will eat the best carp you ever had in about 60 days.

But how do you scale 'em? LOL

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Native Americans taught European settlers (Illegal immigrants, BTW) how to grow corn as follows: Dig a shallow hole in any kind of soil, place an Atlantic salmon in the bottom, 2" of dirt, half a dozen corn kernels, and then cover with more soil.

I can't imagine doing that with salmon, but I have grown plenty of tomatoes that way, using post filet gamefish carcasses. After a year or so, if you then rototill that same soil it will grow anything.

fishrdan

Admiral

When I was a kid, all fish carcases went into the garden. Dig a hole and dump them in. I used to fish every day in the summer, so we had a lot of fertilizer, and a lot of fish dinners...

sasto

Captain

Worked great for pineapples....Good Luck!

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Just bury them as others have said. Use all shellfish shells, too... shrimp, lobster, clam, mussel, crab, ect...even if they've come from low country boil and are full of spices; it's all good. Throw in some coffee grinds and banana peels and you're golden. The coffee grinds and banana peels are especially beneficial to roses.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here in Newfoundland it's regularly done. We have small fish that spawn on the shoreline. They are scooped up by the bucket full. Then spread on the garden. The plants turn out great. But remember to till them in or your wife and neighbors will hate you for the smell. The earlier in the year this is done the better, since it gives a chance for the fish to break down and become fertilizer.

My mother also uses blood on her roses. When she defrosts a roast for example the blood that comes out of the wrapper gets put on a rose bush. They always have blooms on them. All season long. When we were on the west coast she also used to bury shells under when planting to provide nutrients as the shells break down.

On a side note. After we moved to Alberta they planted some pine trees on the yard. The trees weren't doing very well. A local nursery told us to dig up the roots and bury some metal cans. Not aluminum, old chain, something of that nature. the metal rusts and provides something the tree needs for full growth.

dolluper

Captain

Do it all the time fish fert is the best you can get....for cuttings I throw the fish bones and all in a food processor and grind up...then mix up with peat moss,bone meal ,and rich dark soil.....works better than growth hormone

nwcove

Admiral

we use fish carcasses here in nova scotia, but its even more popular to head to the beach in the fall, right after a big storm, and gather truckloads of rockweed and kelp that washes ashore......that stuff will make the worst soil grow anything!!

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

If I remember my Massachusetts grammer school Thanksgiving teachings correctly, one of the things the Pilgrims learned from the local Indians was to dig a hole, drop a fish carcass in it, followed by some corn seeds.