Anyone ever fully decapitated a 60's MFG with the resin bedded cap?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
I've been looking through some of these MFG builds and it looks like everyone tries to work around decapitating an MFG with the resin bedded cap. Wondering if anyone has seen one fully decapitated and how the resin bed was removed... looks like lots of grinding to remove one completely, maybe a hammer and chisel... C4?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep , Angle grinder with thin metal cutting blade . Score it as deep as you can under the edge and chisel away at it ..

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Yep , Angle grinder with thin metal cutting blade . Score it as deep as you can under the edge and chisel away at it ..

Thanks Phelps! I figured it'd be something like that.

I wonder how a wider masonry blade would do? Especially if that resin has silica and glass fibers in it? I think I have a couple of those around here, I might try one when the time comes. I'll let y'all know if it works or not.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The stuff ,if it's the same that was on my boat , is kinda brittle . Once scored it should chip out fairly easily ..

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
The stuff ,if it's the same that was on my boat , is kinda brittle . Once scored it should chip out fairly easily ..

Yeah, it's all cracked up under the lip and I'm surprised it hasn't fallen out. A little bit has fallen out, but not as much as I would think given the way it's cracked.